1st Gen R50 Cooper Scratches on door card plastics—alternatives to replacing?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by polotska, Apr 5, 2016.

1. polotska

polotska New Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #1 polotska, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    I’ve got ugly scratches on the hard plastic parts of my passenger’s side door card—on the lower part of the oval that forms the door pocket. I know I can replace the door card to resolve this, but are they’re any cheaper alternatives? I’d need a Cordoba beige/anthracite door card, and they’re still available new, but thought I’d see if I’m overlooking something.

Thanks for any help.

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    How deep are the scratches? Maybe you can polish them out with some 1000 grit sand paper and buffing compound.

3. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    You will want to practice this first on something you don't care about. But you could use a small torch. It will soften the scratches so they will be less noticeable.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    You can buy leather and vinyl repair kits that include filler compound, graining papers, and a small electric iron for using the graining papers. I've used one with some (but limited) success on my door cards. Not magic, but can often take something from looking like total crap, to just looking like crap. :Thumbsup:

5. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    If it's the hard plastic you can repaint it, or disassemble the the panel and replace the parts with some pieces from a used black door panel. I think the plastic rivet heads can be carefully cut off, then use small screws to re-attach the trim.

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I used this on some vinyl seats a while back. The texture came out okay. Getting the color right was difficult.

7. polotska

polotska New Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies. The scratches are on the painted hard plastic part of the door card (the lower part of the oval shape), and some of them are completely through the paint. The original owner (a friend) was in a band and hauled a lot of musical equipment in the car, so I think the scratches were from removing gear that he’d put on the passenger-side floor in front of the seat.

Sounds like replacing the door card is the best option. I know that many of the small pieces attached to the card would need to be removed and reattached to a new one. Anything to watch out for there? Most of them seem easy enough, but the one I’m most curious about is the speaker grill—how is it attached to the card?

Thanks again.

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Ah, thought you were worried about scratches in the textured molded panel. Best solution in your case is to re-paint the painted part of the panel, probably.

Speaker grille has melted bosses, like the other parts. Replacement speaker grilles mount with locking washer-type clips (like held the wheels on a wagon when you were a kid, kinda).

9. polotska

polotska New Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Got it—so since the replacement speaker grilles are mounted differently, can I transfer the speaker grille from the old card, or do I need to buy a new grille, as well?

10. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Yep or just disassemble it and repaint it instead of replacing.