1st Gen R50 Cooper Replaced Crankshaft Position Sensor O-Ring

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by zman70, Aug 19, 2016.

1. zman70

zman70 New Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Picked up my '06 Justa a couple of weeks ago. First thing I had to address was an oil leak which appeared to be coming from the crankshaft sensor o-ring.

Decided to put it in front service mode so I could get a good look at the area. Man, was there a lot of gunk built up around the sensor and really all over that area of the engine. Spent quite a bit of time cleaning everything up. Replacing the o-ring was easy with that much access. Old o-ring was very brittle. Put a little RTV behind the new o-ring (hopefully that will help with future leaks).

I was worried this car would be difficult to work on with such a small engine bay but it's fairly straightforward to move the front end forward a couple of inches. Not sure how easy it will be to access belt / pulleys but I'll cross that bridge when necessary.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Yea they are not to hard to work on. I would be careful putting RTV on rubber it can make it slide out, but on the o-ring it should be ok