1st Gen R50 Cooper How Do I Know If Its PS Fan or Stage 1 Fan?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by daytripper540, Oct 19, 2016.

1. daytripper540

daytripper540 New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys. My wife's 06 base model has been overheating in traffic lately. The first day it happened, I checked the coolant and it was a bit low so I added more and replaced the thermostat because I read about the leaky gasket being common. I also checked the power steering fan and found that plastic cage around it was slightly broke. I glued the cage back together. All fuses were fine and none had blown.

She didn't have any problems with it for a few days.

The problem came back today and it has plenty of coolant. You can definitely hear the high speed fan kick on when the A/C is on and the car is idling. I haven't had time to check and see if the PS Fan cage broke again.

I'm trying to find out if there is a difference in symptoms between the PS fan and stage 1 resistor being out? As far as I can tell they both present with the same symptoms and I don't really want to pull the fan out just to find out that the resistor is fine. On the same hand I don't want to blow more money replacing the PS Fan if it is working fine.

2. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Generally if the PS fan gets stuck, it blows a fuse...
    On the pre facelift cars, it will stop the radiator fan...
    But the 2005+ cars were wired differently...
    On those cars. The PS fan is on the same fuse as the backup sensor, if installed.

Additionally, the loss of the low speed radiator fan will not cause overheating.....just a hotter running situation that the driver WILL NOT NOTICE due to the equipped gauges.
    It sounds like the low speed fan is an issue....but not the cause of your overheating.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Turn the PS fan by hand it it is notchy replace it. It should turn smoothly. The over heating sounds like the radiator fan, if it is only doing it in traffic. It could be the relay or the fan motor could be bad. Detroit tuned sales this part. It may be all you need. or you could replace the hole fan

http://www.detroittuned.com/dorman-fan-relay-kit-gen-1/

The only way to know if the radiator fan motor is good is to bypass the relay. but most times it is the relay