1st Gen R50 Cooper Wheel Bearing Sound/Feeling

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by JaxWindham, Dec 28, 2016.

1. JaxWindham

JaxWindham New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2003 Mini Cooper R50. I started feeling something was wrong when driving it and thought it might have been a wheel bearing. I took it to a mechanic who drove it and said it was definitely a wheel bearing but he didn't know which side without putting it in his shop. I purchased and replaced both Wheel hub assemblies and it's still there. It seems to me to be on the driver's side, but I'm not sure. Could it be the axle itself or would it more likely be in the transaxle case? Is there a bearing the axel goes through as it enters the case? Sorry, newbie here to working on a mini and being a shadetree mechanic.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
  3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    I believe the rule of thumb for wheel bearings is if you turn to the left and it make a bad sound it's the right wheel bearing and if you turn to right and bad sound it's the left wheel bearing. Since you replaced both sides one would think that problem was solved unless you used a lesser quality assembly and were unlucky to have the same problem reoccur. Sorry I don't anything more to add other than Welcome to Motoring Alliance !!

4. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Having just replaced my passenger front wheel bearing, 00Minis post is correct. When I made a left turn the sound or slight vibration would be more pronounced.
    Having replaced more driveshafts than I'd care to admit if you're really feeling something through the drivetrain it's more likely the shaft than the wheel bearing. I'd replace both as it's always easier and more effective/efficient. Plus you're going to have to refill the box with gear oil - might as well only do it once. I'd also check the top motor mount. That couple of inches is crucial in having everything where it's supposed to be to work properly.

How many miles are on the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JaxWindham

JaxWindham New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The mini has 90K miles.