2nd Gen R56 Cooper Exhaust CAM Shaft Over-Retarded

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Linda H, May 2, 2017.

1. Linda H

Linda H New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Newly Retired
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 Linda H, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    My check engine light came on yesterday. (Don't ya just love it when that happens?:confused5:) I had my local auto store read the code and the nice young man told me it translated to 'the exhaust CAM shaft over-retarded'.
    What in the heck is this? Is it serious enough that I should get it fixed? DIY? How can I turn off the check engine light if it's an ignorable problem?
    Thanks! I'm trying to be a DIY for my 2011 non-turbo R56 Cooper.

Update - I am getting 2 codes: P0302 'cylinder 2 misfire' ( I changed all spark plugs recently and thinking I need to take out the second one from the left (pass side) look at it and maybe reseat it) Agree?
    Other code is P0015 - 'exhaust cam position over retarded bank 1'
    Is this something I need to have professionally checked out? Last service I had they found that the drive belt has minor cracks. Don't think these are related. Advice....please?

2. mattc85

mattc85 Active Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Heating and Air
    Mocksville, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Maybe a bad camshaft sensor? Maybe the timing chain somehow skipped a tooth? It sounds like something that a professional should check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Before you go any further, see if you can double check the actual code that was stored (Pxxxx) just to make sure that the auto parts guy referenced the right codes for our cars.
    Tell us what it is.

4. Linda H

Linda H New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Newly Retired
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, I will stop by today and get that done. I'll send the code #soon. So great to have you in my corner!

5. Linda H

Linda H New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Newly Retired
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exhaust Cam Shaft Over Retarded

I updated my original post with the codes. Should my maint questions be posted in My Garage?
    P0302 cylinder 2 misfire
    P0015 exhaust cam shaft position over retarded bank 1
    See orig post for more details
    Thanks!

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Try clearing the code and see if it comes back, if it doesn't, great, that is the best result, it was a transitory problem.

There could be a problem with the VANOS, which adjusts the cam timing for different conditions. The Engine Control Unit is telling the VANOS where to position the camshaft and it isn't doing it. If the code comes back, then you should take it to a MINI technician for further diagnostics. An Independent shop will probably be cheaper.