2nd Gen R56 Cooper The flashing "check engine" light

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by herchammer, Jul 21, 2017.

1. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Been quite a while since I posted on here, the last thing was when I changed the thermostat housing. That turned out ok, by the way.

We're on vacation, of course, and my wife goes out to move Lilly (2009 Justa) and she's running rough and the check engine light is flashing. Long story short, my lack of experience with these little gems left me with no choice but to limp it to a mechanic. Their code reader is saying that the #1 cylinder is misfiring. Now that I think about it, it's behaving just like my Liberty did, when one of the coil packs failed. I wish I had known why the problem was, as that would have been an easy fix; I could have done that in my father in law's driveway! Now, I'll be paying a mechanic to take a cover off, and snap in a new coil pack, and perhaps replace the plugs. Damn I wish I could afford a $3000 code reader! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Or if you have a smart phone you can get a wifi OBDII reader and download an app for less. It wont do everything the one Dave is talking about but it will do a lot.

4. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I'll have to get my hands on one of those.

5. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It turns out, it was the coil pack, for the #1 cylinder. Had I known, it would have been such an easy, and relatively inexpensive remedy. Ah well, lessons learned, and experience gained. Thanks for the link to the code reader, by the way, we'll certainly be investing in one!

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Thanks for the update !! Good to hear that your problem has been corrected even though it was more costly than one would have liked.