2nd Gen R56 Cooper 07 r56 n12 timing experts -chime in!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by 05r50, Dec 14, 2017.

1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Need some advice from the collective experts here.

Son’s GF has an 07 N12 auto with a timing and/or vanos issue. Wish I could recall exactly, its been a few months since BEST diagnosed it.

The car has been serviced by both MAG and BEST in the past, including this issue.

The bottom line is that this car is too expensive for a college student and has to go. She already has a replacement that is more reliable, so that is done deal.

I am not familiar with the timing chain issues on the N12 per se but do know about the large amount of problems in the N14.

I guess the question is whether to sell it as-is or dive in and make the repair first?

1. If the tensioner has allowed the chain to jump is it ok to run/drive it or will that cause more damage? (Its been parked since summer. ) The symptoms leading to this were that the car would run fine one day and then stall out and leave her stranded the next.

2. I really don’t want to crack this open myself, but want to be able to tell buyers what they are up against. Ideas on what a DIY cost this might be?

3. Thoughts on value as is? It is a pretty well equipped pepper white version with auto climate, rain sensor,aftermarket radio, keyless start option etc. I think it has average mileage for the age.

4. If you are interested in it as-is let me know. Her family wants to get this sold by end of the month so they can let the insurance and registration go.

Thanks in advance.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    My guess Jeff & it's justa guess would be vanos solenoids. I think if it was the timing chain jumping a tooth it would never run right. Call Best they may have the work suggested on her last service there enshrined on their puters hard drive.

N12 engines can have timing chains go bad, but it doesn't happen often. Those solenoids have been replaced on Babs clubster.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I second what’s been said. If it jumped a tooth it would not be an intermented problem. I would be careful driving it you don’t want to do more damage. Not sure on the value as is. I would think that may be a hard sale. Sorry not much help.

4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Chuck,
    That was a great idea. I called BEST and they did still have it in the system.

The basic news is that a slack test was performed and it came out at 68.5mm. Also, the exhaust vanos had an issue.

Best recommended further inspection to see if the timing was out, replace the tensioner and the chain, and to replace both vanos and the hook ring seals. (Note: These items were not checked because the known costs were already too much for her to continue with the repair).

At this point I am not going to advise her family to pay up one more time and will just sell it as-is.

I do believe that this car would be a great project for someone as it is in really good shape otherwise.

Attached Files:

5. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I agree Jeff, there is a time to cut ones losses. Man that MINI has some amazing road holding. Be careful it doesn't fall off the ceiling onto the Blu MINI.

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Jeff it might be worth it to call Best & see if John or Anson wants to buy it. No idea what her MINI is worth, but it isn't going to be a lot. Putting an ad on Craigs would be a pain in the arse for her family.

Good luck.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    When I was a mechanic I use to like deals like this. I would buy the car and fix it for a fast turn and profit.