2nd Gen R60 Countryman Countryman Suspension?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Black n Blue, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Black n Blue

Black n Blue New Member

May 2, 2012
    Project Manager in Tradeshow Marketing
    Auburn, GA
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    OK, you can save the smartace comments, like "yes, buy a cooper" and "learn how to drive it" but I am going to ask this anyway.

Are there any options for enhancing the cornering ability of the countryman?

Having had two coopers before this CM we yearn for a little less body sway and more stiffness on the corners.:drool

Are there any options out there that don't require a $2,000 conversion? Maybe a sway bar or strut bar? If so what are the best options?

And, yes another cooper is in the future at some point but not anytime soon.

Thanks!
    Jon

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    NM has springs for the Countryman. As of yet, not one has created a swaybar. I could be wrong. Others will chime in.

Replacing the run flats with real tires would help a lot too.

Give Way at Way Motor Works a call, ya'll are somewhat close. I hear he has a few tricks up his sleeve for a Countryman.

3. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a Countryman expert, but my first thoughts were the usual suspects:

Lowering springs (NM makes a set, I have NM's on my MCS and other CM owners have enjoyed this change

Some brand of big(ger) rear swaybar

And some really good tires. Dampers, too, Konis - Bilsteins - similar.

That's actually a pretty good start toward a $2k total bill (if you're paying for shop installs of stuff) however.

I'm staying tuned, I have a jones for a WRC-style CM that we'd use for our German shepherd dog activities, and I'd, too, want VERY good cornering along with the need for the CM's carrying capacity.

4. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I believe VIP has plans to come out with a rear sway bar. It along with their springs are listed on their site.

5. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    One of our club members is modding his CM ALL4 S as I type, he did NM Springs and SPC LCAs, NM 19 Inch Wheels and Yokohama tires, the new ones out that are all season sticky.

His next option is exhaust then we shall see where the tunes go. JP did say that NM is saying the will have a CM rear sway in August, we shall see. :)

I really like the look of his CM on the NMs, it is looking good, I'm thinking a set would help with my upgrade of tires recently put on our CM's 17s, I went with 225/50/17 and the gap is a bit more. :mad5:

But it might just be my perception. :)

I say mod away, but if you do the 19s and good tires, your going to blow the 2K limit darn fast.

Don

6. Black n Blue

Black n Blue New Member

May 2, 2012
    Project Manager in Tradeshow Marketing
    Auburn, GA
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    VIP has a strut bar for $199 and is coming out with a rear sway bar in August for $199. Way also has lower springs for $250. Lowers the car 1.6". so not bad for $650 if you did all three. Way is about 20 minutes form my office so I may have to run by there.

Are springs hard to change yourself? I know there is usually a compression tool you need and I do alot of my own repairs but have never done springs.

I like some of the other stuff VIP has too. Ralley lights are on my list as well. I could tell at the dragonin May it would have been nice to have these. They are just a little annoying to the guy in front of you.

7. dr61

dr61 Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Redding, CA, USA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Of course, if you don't already have the Sport Suspension option, you could, for instance, add the sway bars from that package. 1-2 mm larger, I believe. I like how mine handles.

8. bmwr606

bmwr606 New Member

May 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    you didn't say if you have an all4, if you do, before you spend any money, i suggest turning off the dsc and traction and go for a spirited drive

i have the sport suspension and 18" wheels, and with the dsc and traction off, my cms all4 happily slides the rear out under power, allowing throttle steering

scott

9. Desy232

Desy232 Banned

Dec 4, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello! I'm new and I'm interested in such questions. I esteem your opinions, I think it will come in handy.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

Start with a sway bar. Then good springs and shocks