2nd Gen R60 Countryman Who's done an entertainment upgrade?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by frankthetank77, Mar 6, 2015.

1. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Marketing, graphic design, photography and video p
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I checked out the "in-car entertainment" sub and found it pretty dead, so I've decided to just ask here. Forgive me if I missed this question somewhere, and if someone wants to link me to it i'll be on my way. :Thumbsup:

But who here has upgraded their speakers/amp system? I'm specifically looking for help in dimensions for speakers. I found this Harman Kardon - MINI Countryman, and it's a good start, but it mentions nothing of depth for the doors or tweeters, and again, depth is what I'm looking for.

Am I off my rocker to think that I can replace my door speakers with some Polk DB's or some Rockford's? I'm not looking for a subwoofer box or anything elaborate, just a little more punch. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the current set up, just looking for something more. :idea:

I also checked out Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV and they were no help. Sure, they give me a list of items but it says that they've not fully measured my car...so how the hell am I supposed to know if anything fits then??!??:mad2:

Here's to hoping for some good feedback! :fingerscrossed:

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for bringing up this topic again. I too am in the immediate market to make an upgrade to my speaker system and seem to remember a couple of our members having already done so. I'm sure someone will share before too long.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I got ride of my old wife and got the new improved version.......:rolleyes:

Oh your talking about speakers, my fault.

4. Lorenzo

Lorenzo New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Music City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    #4 Lorenzo, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    Fan of JL Audio here. Am enjoying an 2 year old AlpineCDE-HD149 head unit with JL XD 700/5 amp for the front and rear speakers and a XD600/1 for the JL W7AE 12 inch sub. On a slow day just after Chrismas picked up some ZR525-CSi for the front and ZR525-CSi for the rear. Will be adding them soon.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  6. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I upgraded the audio in my MINI(r53) with polk DB's, mounted a kenwood xr-4s amp in a void under the driver seat and found a kenwood deck that matched the interior of the car. I recently upgrade the DB's to the polk MM line with the neo magnets. They have a better frequency response and better low end such that you can get by without a sub..... Amazon has the best price on either polk speaker series from what I've found. Crutchfield can be a little high but often has the buy one polk speaker pair and get the second pair half off....

7. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all your responses.
    But has the installation been an issue? Did you have to cut or were your choices a quick R&R? I get upsizing speakers/woofers, yes, but doors? And amps? Or did you rewire your entire system? Probably...just asking

Thanks!

8. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Now that's funny!!!

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I only used the speaker wires from the head unit and extended them to the outputs on the amp. I used an Alpine preamp only HU with RCAs to my JL digital 900x5 amp.

The door wires are fine for higher end speakers and power. Plus the molex plugs on the doors make is damn near impossible to run new wires to the doors without taking off the doors and drilling.

I ran my own power and grounds from the rear of the car and used a little larger wire for the rear 6x9's since I had the whole interior out of the car for Dynamat. :ihih::Thumbsup:

10. Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    What year and stereo do you have?

11. Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    A few options. The best upgrade you can do to any stereo is to give the speakers more power.
    Start with a head unit. You would be surprised how little power factory systems put out.

If you have the hk. Then you either need to buy the hk enabler harness from the uk.
    Or wire around the amp.

I would use the harness. A few reasons.
    The woofers and tweeters are wired as separates. Using the harness, retains the amp.
    Easy install. No running wires.

If you do not have the hk. Just replace the head unit. Most new heads average about 18 watts rms per speaker. Most stock is less than 5.

Try that first, and I doubt you will need to go any further.

12. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    "Start with a head unit". I'm assuming the speakers can handle the additional wattage. They won't flutter out? But either way I want to upgrade those too.

I do have the HK system, where do I find this harness?

So with the audio deck being so slim, is it pretty easy to swap out?

As far as speakers, I'm looking at the Polk DB series but I'm quickly finding they don't make anything around the 4" size. Seems they start at 5.25". Looks like Kicker, Blaupunkt and Rockford Fosgate make several options in the 4" area though. Would you suggest any particular depth of speakers to stay away from?

Thanks in advance!
    Frankthetank77

13. Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    Ok. With that plan, here's what you want to do.

Replace the head unit.
    Replace the speakers. Buy a decent set of comments for the front doors.
    5 1/4 should fit. As far as depth, you are going to have to make speaker adapters anyways.

Then I would ditch the hk amp, and run a small 4 channel back where the hk is.

Then, you don't need the harness.

I would suggest maybe having a shop do the work, it is a little involved.

Or, go all out. Like I am doing right now...[​IMG]

14. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Polk do does offer 4" speakers. They actually have a pretty wide Variety of speakers sizes. The rest depends on the type of music you listen to, how far you want to take the system, and what your budget is. I opted to run all new power and speaker wires and dynamat. You can always start with new speakers and a new head unit and go from there. I agree with a previous post that more power makes a big difference. Remember doubling the amp wattage increases speaker volume by 3db. The new speakers will increase your clarity and frequency response.

15. Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't run aftermarket speakers with the hk amp.

16. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the HK amp? or know where I can find one?

17. Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    Go to the amp.
    All the twisted pairs are speaker wires.

The front doors are the same colors left and right.

Pop the speakers with a small battery to identify them.

18. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    I found this a while back. Not sure how accurate it is but I'll be finding out soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    I found the door speaker wiring to be different.

20. Kenny kustom

Kenny kustom New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ratings:
    +178 / 0 / -0
    Here's my slight upgrade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]