2nd Gen R60 Countryman Having a hell of a time with TPM

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by upthegreens, Dec 14, 2016.

1. upthegreens

upthegreens New Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Long story short, I had nail removed from my tire, my regular tire shop replaced, but they broke the sensor in the right front wheel. They replaced at no cost with a factory part, but I cannot get it to reset. It's reset briefly a couple times, but will always go back to TPM Malfunction and occasionally before that error I will get "TPM external interference". I have reset it about 40 times at this point, is there anything I can check for short of having to take it in, since I was aghast at what I was quoted for a tire sensor replacement. ($350). Thanks all for any help you can give.

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Don't trust the tire store to get the tire pressures correct.

Be sure that the tire pressures are as recommended by the factory, check inside your driver's side door jam for the tire inflation sticker.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The battery in the sensor could be dead or weak.....

Make sure they got the right one, there are several different sensors depending on the year of the car......they talk on different frequencies. What MINI are we talking about here? Year and model......

$350 sounds way over the top for one TPM sensor, most expensive ones I saw were $175 for these cars....unless that included labor to R&R the sensor.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    This....

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Yep the right Hz is important for that TPMS sensor, get the wrong one & it will not talk to your car. I had to buy a sensor not long ago & it was $45. My best wild arse guess is they put the wrong sensor in.

Tell us what flavor MINI you have & we can be even more helpful.

6. upthegreens

upthegreens New Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all. I have set the tires to recommended pressure per the sticker on the driver's side door, should've mentioned that. Also, should've mentioned this is a 2012 Countryman S. Love the car otherwise, but this issue is driving me to distraction since I would like to know how much air is in my tires. :)

7. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yeah....

MINI used two different frequencies with their tire pressure sensors..... 315mhz and 433mhz depending on model year.

One tells you if some of your tires are low..... The other tells you which tire is low.

The change was mandated by the government... Not sure which model year it changed at..... You can't mix and match sensors...

Some tire places have a receiver and they can read the sensor mhz that's inside the tire without removing the tire....

There is also a receiver in each wheelwell reading the signal.... If the electrical plug were to be disconnected it would give a fault...

My bet is they put the wrong sensor in the wheel when they fixed it.....

tire pressure 1.JPG

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Our 2008 MINI has the dumb sensors, we get a warning but are not told which tire is low on air.

I think the federal requirements have changed, my 2013 GTI uses the abs wheel speed sensors for the TPMS. No more expensive & troublesome sensors to deal with. :D

9. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    You shouldn't have to spend a penny on this problem. The tire store broke the sensor, they own it.

CD

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    They should but would you really want them working on your car again?

I bet they ordered the cheapest "universal 429.99" one from Rockauto, stuck it in and said all fixed.

If they called the dealership and gave the parts dept the VIN they would have got the right sensor for the year of the car.

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    More than likely they've knocked these off before....

They probably have a bucket full of them in the back room....

Grabbed one that was wrong or had a shot battery..... Said "This'll fit"....

You are good to go, sir.... Have a happy day....:)

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Any tire store worth their salt will have those sensors in stock. At least that was the case with my favorite tire store Discount Tire. I found one cheaper than their price & they gladly matched it.