2nd Gen R60 Countryman R60S Sputter Under Full Throttle @ 3000-5000RPM

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by HasAnMTBProblem, Jul 19, 2017.

1. HasAnMTBProblem

HasAnMTBProblem New Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, there.

2012 Mini Countryman S, 6-speed.

Wondering if anyone has a clue about what could be causing this. It only happens under full throttle/very near full throttle. It only happens between 3000 and 5000 RPMs. It feels like a miss in one of the cylinders. It happens 1 - 3 times very quickly in each gear, then stops (or I upshift). I get a pop and burble from the exhaust at the same time, similar to when I downshift. No smoke, no warning lights. Though I haven't yet hooked it up to a scanner to see if there are any codes that just weren't severe enough to trip a light.

Things off the top of my head I could see it being, no particular order:

1. Dirty fuel filter that chokes under high demand
    2. Spark plug that is fouled and doesn't burn correctly under high load
    3. Fuel injector started to get clogged that doesn't spray the full amount it should under high load.
    4. Waste gate is activating early, and dumping boost.
    5. Some issue with a cylinder, maybe compression or valve issue.

One guy I read about had a very similar scenario but on an '02 Cooper. Ended up a piston head had a chip or hole or something. Had to have all the piston heads replace, and the top end rebuilt.

2. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    Get a code reader and check for any codes in the ECU. Sounds like a misfire. My wife's Paceman had a similar problem and a new set of plugs took care of it.

3. MeagerHair

MeagerHair Member

May 13, 2017
    Fox Valley of Wisconsin.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You don't have miles listed but carbon buildup in intake valves can be a culprit also. Walnut shells are your friend if that is the issue, a little shell blasting and she would be all better.

4. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance the best MINI forum on the internet !!

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! I was thinking plugs also. When was the last time you changed them?