2nd Gen Coupe Observations Of A Coupe

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Justa Jim, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I have had this coupe "S" (loaner) for five days now and had a chance to really give it a test drive. At first the visibility seemed limited, but I think that was because I was use to the hatch. After a couple of days I adjusted and all was fine. The car is fun to drive, handles differently then the hatch, has tighter suspension, seems to hug the turns very well and is smooth on the freeway. I really think it handles better then the hatch (to me anyway) and I like it. I don't see a need for any major mods. Cabin heats up faster (smaller I guess), interior lay out is nice and the trunk is large. I also like the moving spoiler (just me). Playing on the MINI site, I have found that a JCW, black body and red roof is a combo I can live with. Sooooooooo, down the road, the next MINI will be a coupe without a doubt. That is provided they don't screw it all up before I am ready to buy one. :D

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Can you fit a saddle in the boot Jim?

I can't resist...

How many chickens fit in that coop? :D

3. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yes Nathan the saddle fits fine. I could only get five chickens in the boot, because Hazel wanted to drive and would not stay back there. :D

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Nice hearing your thoughts on the coupe Jim. I've seen a black with red roof coupe & to my old eyes it looked pretty darned good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Better hurry up and order one, I'm thinking they have a short shelf life in the grand scheme of all things MINI and will be discontinued soon...

6. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Jim I don't think you would be sorry. I had an 06 R53 for six years

before I bought a 2012 R58 JCW (clone of Mark's!). It took a short

while to get used to it but I like it more than the R53 that I loved

dearly.

7. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Oh dear! I hope this doesn't foretell to demise of Foggie. Foggie's graphics alone are worthy of preservation.

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Jim, justa order one with a red roof and wrap the roof in black to get the look you want.

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Not anytime soon Friskie. Just planning for down the road. I was taught that you should always have a plan...even if it is a bad one. :D

10. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I had a Justa as a courtesy car a few weeks ago for a couple of days and I concur with your observations. The handling is definitely different than the hatch. A different balance, maybe.

The spoiler is kind of cool watching go up and down.

[​IMG]

11. JenLane

JenLane New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    It definitely carries its weight differently. The center of gravity differs from the hatch. And the stiffer ride saves you money on a sway bar. You really don't need one with the Coupe.

You can get an all-black Coupe, if you want. There are quite a few of them around. ;)

Sure, they aren't for everybody. The press loves to say they're ugly. In the real world scenario, though, I've found that not to be quite the case. At least once every 48 hours someone comments on it, asks questions at red lights and in parking lots. I've even had visitors to my building at work hunt me down to ask about it and leave notes on it to tell me they think it's cool. It only annoys me when someone takes a picture of it. Sometimes I just want to get in the car and go and not be delayed by a pic and a chat.

I think we'll stop seeing production at the end of the '14 cycle. And they appear to be holding value quite well. Mine is worth about $1K less than I paid for it more than 18 months ago. Not that the value much matters to me. I kinda like him and I think I'll keep him. :)

12. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    ....add a 25mm competition rear sway bar and you'll go out of your mind if you currently like the stock one. It makes the Coupe a different car!

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Don't lift in a corner. :wink:

14. packimocity

packimocity New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Education
    NE PA
    Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    I have a dilemma....
    I really enjoy my Coupe and like JenLane said above, it constantly receives compliments, thumbs up, etc

But it will not get my wife and I and a couple dogs Xcountry next summer for. MTTS 2014

She strongly suggests trading it in for a CMan S AWD which would be a great winter mini, as I try to garage the Coupe as much as possible

I don't want to part with it even though she hates it!

What to do, Dear Abby?
    pac

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Trade the coupe in PAC you still have the R53 which the best MINI to have. Plus keeping your wife happy will cost less than taking her to King of Prussia mall.

16. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    If you get a CMAN JCW to replace the Coupe, you will not have any regrets. I suggest the sport suspension with the 19s and summer tires. :)

Esp. for MTTS, we are going to have a blast in Colorado.

Don

17. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Holy moly... just saw your thread title and thought I'd missed something important!