2nd Gen Coupe Carbon fix

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by MCS02, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    #1 MCS02, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    I have read a lot about the carbon problem and fix for the N14 engine. Here is what I am thinking about doing to fix the problem. Has anyone tried any one of these.

1. eases but most expensive. Meth (Dave is all smiles)

2. Mark already has a catch can from the back PVC to the turbo so I could add a second one that goes from the front PVC to the intake. This is the one that causes the problem.

3. Vent the front PVC to the atmosphere through a filter (K&M sales them) or like in the old days run the hose into a old oil can with holes in the top :D Then block the hole in the intake so no more oil is sent to my valves.

I don't want to hear about venting to the atmosphere hurting the environment. Al Gore did more damage when he started his jet to fly to the climate summit then the Helmet will do its whole life.

Also maybe I should ask Jan about the Meth sense he did the tune to see what els I need to change.

So Metalman?

Also what is the best system for Meth?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Meth meth meth ! :Thumbsup:

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I wouldn't bother with the OCC.... Yeah it collects some stuff but in the long run it doesn't catch everything.... Probably just delays a blasting...

Get a walnut blast to bring the intake tract back to the original "Like New" state, then add the meth kit and stay carbon free...

I removed mine a while back, put on the latest version of the valve cover and when it needs it I'll walnut blast mine...

I wouldn't mess around with breather vents.... All you will end up doing is coating the engine compartment with a fine mist of oil and probably throw codes.... Drive with the oil filler cap off and see what happens...

My $0.02

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Oh man don't do this. I did once on the tow vehicle when towing the race car to Nelson Ledges. Oh my gosh what a slimy mess. :frown2:

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ What Crashton said...

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Yea I have left a oil cap off in my younger days also! Never agin.:lol:

It looks like most are capping off the front vent. This is what peugeot did to the 206 that uses the same engine. The guys in Europe even get the caps from the peugeot dealer, I read somewhere. The broblem with doing that is it forces more to go through the PVC venting to the turbo. I don't what that.

I guess I will have to convince my wife I need a meth kit. Let see walnut blasting is 600 at my dealer. That's close to the price of a meth kit.........

Side note. These turbos stay hot so dam long.

7. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    I blocked the PCV line from the back of the head cover to the throttle body with a BSH dual boost tap ( It is where I get vacuum/boost signal for my boost gauge). That is the source of the oil mist that bakes onto the backs of the intake valves. I have an oil catch can on the PCV line to the turbocharger. Any oil mist that gets past the oil catch can will condense out in the intercooler and will not get to the engine. It is easier to clean the intercooler than it is to walnut blast the intake valves.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    How long have you been running that set up? Any problems?

9. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Same setup I had on my R56. I used the tap to control my Forge BOV/Diverter valve.
    My independent Mini tech charged me $250 for walnut blasting.

EDIT: I would still go with the Meth :Thumbsup:

Attached Files:

10. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    I installed the oil catch can and dual boost tap when the car was new, so about seven years and 37,000 miles. I have had no problems.