Dealer Car Care Products??

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Cappi Gal, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Cappi Gal

Cappi Gal New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    LA, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It is now time to wash boom boom for the first time. Any thoughts on the car care products the dealers have or should I go with another brand? I have no clue what to use. Any tips would be great!

Thanks.

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    From what I have seen, the two most popular products are Prima and Griot's Garage. My MINI is a Griot's MINI. IMO, more importantly is the quality of micro fiber cloths. Good product and poor quality cloths is just counter productive. Avoid the auto supply and big box store junk and go with what either of these two have to offer. More expensive but well worth it. One other thing. Get in the habit of two bucket hand washing. Drive thru's are a no-no.

For your first wash, add two more steps. After it's bath, clay bar then wax.

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    The MINI branded stuff is OK... at least the brake dust cleaner I tried a few years ago was. It wasn't anything special.

I go crazy w/ full detailing, clay bar and an exceptional sealant (Zaino), but I'd think that you could easily get 95% of my result in 25% of the time by washing regularly with an easily available auto shampoo (Whatever is on the shelves at Wal Mart) and a coat of Nu-Finish twice a year (probably available at your local Walgreens).

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    The MINI car wash works well, I had got some on sale and liked it.

Otherwise I only use Prima products on the MINI and the microfibers have to be best quality as has been said.

Prima Mystic Wash I believe it's called, Hydro for drying with microfiber and a couple times a year, clay bar, amigo and epic. In between I use the Hydro ll wash and seal.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I like Griots stuff & the stuff from Prima.

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Griots is just up the road from me and about ten minutes from my MINI dealer.

Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

Their stuff is a bit pricey, but still cheaper than the dealer's car care products. I love Griots spray on car wash.

Waterless Spray-On Car Wash - Cleaners - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

Our MINI Club went there for a car detail demonstration and that sold me on their spray on car wash, it's just the thing to get spring pollen off of your MINI.

Dave

7. Cappi Gal

Cappi Gal New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    LA, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the tips!

8. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    We sell the most popular detailing products for the MINI right here on ShowCarSupplies.com

We held a detailing clinic recently for the San Diego MINI club, WestCoastMINIs. Pix below.

I sell the same products we use daily in my shop, so I can provide the best support for them as well.

A fantastic wash soap is Prima Mystique, a polymer based soap which gives a nice shine just by washing your car with it. Prima Hydro is Prima's most popular spray wax. Just spray it on and wipe it off. We maintain a fleet of $120,000 electric cars for the auto manufacturer, Fisker, and we use Prima Hydro on them.

Check out this album
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150845272786133.475631.157160866132&type=3

[​IMG]

I'm happy to provide any advice you'd like on maintaining your paint or taking it to the next level. The dealer products aren't bad, but there are better products. I started with the MINI car care products when I got my first MINI and evolved as I learned more and got more experience.

[​IMG]

We selected a Jet Black MCS Convertible and went to town on it
    [​IMG]

Giving a Black Wow demo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    What product does anyone recommend for the canvas top on a cabrio?

10. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    RaggTopp. It's the best. We use it and sell it here at the shop. It should be on our website at showcarsupplies.com...but we are so swamped preparing for MOTD next week and keeping the shop running...no time....we can take a phone order however.

Richard
    The Best Car Care Products are at ShowCarSupplies.com - Welcome Detailing Enthusiast!