Foam Cannon

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Goldsmithy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone use a 'foam cannon' to spray on a thick coat of suds when washing your car. Does it make washing easier? Water, air or a pressure washer? What soap do you use? Any pitfalls? I am thinking about getting one and these are the questions I need answered. As always, TIA for any help, advice or knowledge you can share. Teddy

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    I have wondered these same things. I just don't see how it gets the car really clean and if it does does it eat all the wax off the paint?

I am sure it beats Simple Green and a SOS pad.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have one. I only use it when I am doing a billable full detail on a car or Spring and Fall full paint correcting details on my car.

Unless you are detailing cars as your job you do not need a foam gun for home washing.

Foaming a car is just a prep step before washing a car for a full detail. I have seen a lot of companies selling foaming guns lately as carwash solutions but that is not they are for. When detailing a car I and other detailers use a mix of soap and chemicals to strip wax, bugs and crude off of a car when foaming.

It does not make washing easier at all, it really just adds another step. All a foam gun does is cover the car in thick soap so it can slowly loosen the dirt, bugs and crude from a car and let it run off the car before you touch the paint. This is done so you do not scrub dirt and crap into the paint while washing it by hand. I never touch the car with a wash mit when the car is covered in suds. Again it's just a touchless pre-hand wash process using foam and gravity to preclean the car.

After the foam runs off I rinse the car with my pressure washer to remove all the stuff I can before I hand wash to clean off the lite stuff that is left on the paint.

If you just spray your car down with a hard streem of water to reduce the big crude on your paint before you hand wash you will be fine and not need a foam gun.

Helpful hint, clean all your rims first. Why, because they take the most time to clean. Once you are done empty the soapy bucket and start with fresh water and car wash soap. All breaks have dust and it will get imbedded in your car wash only mit and scratch the hell out of your paint. I have even added a 3rd bucket to my wash just for rims and rim cleaning tool only. Also when the wheels are all done you can wash, rinse and and dry any MINI without getting soap or waters spots unless you are washing in the sun.

Bucket 1 is for wheels only
    Bucket 2 is for car wash soap
    Bucket 3 is for rinsing the wash mit while cleaning the car and before you put it back in the wash bucket for more clean soapy water. Why would you put a dirty wash mit in your clean soapy wash water.....

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
  5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm not an expert, but I like using Sonax Speed Wax. Spray it on while drying & it leaves a nice shine. It's a good way to maintain your finish between detail jobs. My favorite was Prima Hydro. I used it for years, but I am not able to find it now. The Sonax is my substitute. As I recall Mark liked the Griots spray wax. I think any of these three will work great for you. You can get the Sonax at Wally World.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    What do you use to dry your car. I use a synthetic shammy so I was not sure I should get this stuff on it.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #7 Dave.0, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Meguiars and Griots are way over rated and I don't use them.
    The only Meguiars product I like is 205 compound but I have replaced the with Sonax Perfect finish.

I do not use any wax products at all now I only use coating products because they last 10 times longer and look much better.

For a drying / detail spray try this from Sonax. It's about the best you can get. http://www.esotericcarcare.com/sonax-brilliant-shine-quick-detailer/

If you want to dip your toe into coatings try this when you are washing your car next time.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2m-wetcoat/

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I have several nice big waffle weave drying towels that I bought from Griots. Best to get a couple. When you wash & dry then do NOT use an fabric softener it will kill the absorbency of the towel. Stock up on some microfiber towels too for doing door jambs & under hood areas. You can't have too many.

Your shammy won't play well with spray wax.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/microfiber+drying+towel.do

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ yup those synthetic shammy's are just thin sponges and they get dirty and scratch the hell out of your paint. Never use those water blades either they just push the water and rub on the paint scratching the clear coat.

Remember the less you touch you paint without lubrication the less scratches you will have. Wax will fill scratches but improper washing and drying will just put scratches in the wax. Wax only last 3-10 weeks maybe if you keep your car inside.

If you coat a car with a high end ceramic coating it will easily last a year and sheet water off your car meaning you have less water to dry up after washing.

I use a leaf blower to dry my car and use one nice waffle towel to get the drips and runs that always show up. I use cheap MF's from Wally World or Sam's club for door jams and wheels.

Good advice above for NEVER using fabric softener or bleach on MF towels because it ruins the fibers. Also dry on low or air dry so you don't burn the MF fabric.

Try a $50 can of Gyeon Can Coat on your car and you will be amazed at how long it last.

Look here and watch the video and see how easy it is. http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-cancoat/

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCC76DIKhE&ebc=ANyPxKrSTAnF34NZMy_v3Igi_miqtSLRDgoYSt-sRubDo-CaE274Er-4w8i8GrQ4SvwZ_S8N2QmxcSj94O1LGaF9Ox1vmlgPiQ&time_continue=102"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCC76DIKhE&ebc=ANyPxKrSTAnF34NZMy_v3Igi_miqtSLRDgoYSt-sRubDo-CaE274Er-4w8i8GrQ4SvwZ_S8N2QmxcSj94O1LGaF9Ox1vmlgPiQ&time_continue=102[/ame]

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Thanks guys!

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Water blades seem like a great idea right up to the point you get a little piece of grit under that blade & scratch the carp outta your paint. The time saved drying can now be used for paint correction. :mad2:

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup but I love when customers use them. It makes for a higher priced detail.

13. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I've always like the look of a foam cannon... something about seeing a completely foam-covered car makes sense to my detailing OCD personality. Then I think about the PITA of dragging out the hose, connecting it to the pressure washer, running the extension cords, assembling the cannon and adding soap... by then I could have been well along my way to being done with a regular bucket wash! I'll just stick to my big wash bucket with a grit guard, a quality wool wash mit and lots of good quality auto soap.

14. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    My pressure washer came with a suction hose and a special tip that makes it act like a foam cannon, I haven't used it on the car though.

I use Griot's spray on car wash, mostly.