2016 EIM Black Hills Stampede

Discussion in 'Eastern Iowa MINIs' started by Coalvalleyers, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Coalvalleyers

Coalvalleyers New Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #1 Coalvalleyers, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
    Hi Guys & Gals
    Just to let everyone know, Mike and Laura have there reservations made at the KBARS LODGE. If nothing comes up with Laura's father between now and the time we all leave, we're going and we're so very much wanting to see everyone!!

Mike

2. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    This just became our official MA event thread for this trip. :Thumbsup:

3. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Sarah and I are going! It'll be our first "long" EIM Trip! :D

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    If I may be so bold, a suggestion for route planning either out or back:
    Route 44 !! A beautiful, ever changing countryside, almost traffic free from Winner to the Bad Lands. Be sure to fill up at each opportunity as there's not much out there. I think we saw maybe 6 cars for most of the day. Also plan a stop at the Wall drug store if for no other reason than to congratulate yourself for actually finding the drug store in all that.

5. Gil-galad

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. We've done SD-44 between Interior to Rapid City but nothing east of there. It's a long hump from east central IA to Keystone and it's a one-day transit so we typically put the pedal to the metal until we get to I-90 Exit 131. If the weather is good, we often do the Badlands Loop on the way into the Black Hills. If its not, we'll press on and make the compulsory Wall Drug stop. Fortunately there's lots of available daylight in mid-May and we'll gain an hour too. The segment to Winner might be a good return option. :Thumbsup:

6. 05MINI

05MINI New Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Tom & I are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Keystone. I'm getting really excited for this!

7. Gil-galad

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Linda's post prompted me to get some initial planning info on the street. We're just a little over a month away. :Thumbsup:

-----

1. The 2016 EIM Black Hills Stampede will be the 4th group trip out to the Black Hills for EIM. This amazing and beautiful area of South Dakota is one of the best destinations within a day's drive of eastern IA and western IL (albeit a long day) for top-notch MINI motoring and sightseeing.

2. Our plan is for most of the group to motor out to Keystone, SD in a somewhat organized fashion on Thursday, May 19th and perform return trips ad hoc (i.e., depart whenever you want). We suspect the bulk of our group will head back on Sunday, May 22nd. In between, the possibilities for fun are endless.

3. For our transit west, the planned route map is based on our experience from past events and the desire to make good time. Our route (<-see map) begins at our first rendezvous location in Blue Earth, MN. To facilitate a timely departure, the vast majority of our folks will be heading up to Blue Earth later in the day on Wednesday, May 18th and have lodging reservations there for the night. Our plan is for a prompt 8:00 am departure on Thursday from the AmericInn parking lot in Blue Earth. The address is 1495 Domes Drive.

We'll make as many rest stops as we need throughout the day. :eek: We will have one planned stop near or just west of Sioux Falls, SD in order to hook up with Steve and Peggy, our MINI mates from Council Bluffs (time TBD). Chamberlain, SD is a likely stop for lunch.

Note that the planned route takes us through scenic Badlands National Park. The renowned Wall Drug is along the route after the park exit. We should have plenty of time to enjoy both, and make multiple stops in the park for photos and exploring. We may adjust these plans on the fly if the weather that day is not cooperative. There is a $15 park entrance fee unless you already hold a special park pass.

4. The bulk of our group is staying at either the K Bar S Lodge or the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Keystone. (Jeff and Sue have a spot in nearby Hill City.) This is a convenient jumping-off point for many great sights and roads in the area. If you're still on the fence about joining our group for this event, you'll want to make your lodging reservations ASAP as available rooms in the area are expected to be at a premium. Two years ago the K Bar S Lodge staff were kind enough to set up a car wash station in the parking lot for our use. We'll be contacting them to see if they are willing to do this again. We know of no other coin-op car washes located in Keystone. There is one over in Hill City but the operating hours seem to vary day-to-day.

May 20-22 is the South Dakota State Parks Open House Weekend, which means entrance fees are waived. (You can also fish without a license if that is your calling.) This is a nice bonus for any visits to Custer SP and Crazy Horse. There is no entrance fee for Mount Rushmore but they'll hit you up for parking ($11).

Be thinking about specific destination desires for Friday and Saturday motoring. Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway, and Custer are always among the favorites. Always interested in new and creative ways to tour the area.

5. Of course, please feel free to leave a reply here in this thread with any questions, comments, recommendations, etc.

-----

**Things you'll want to be sure to bring along with you:

- Your camera (don't forget the battery charger)
    - Your GMRS/FRS radios and charging cradles if you have them -- it makes communicating during drives SO much easier
    - Smart phones and charging cables
    - Any leftover local maps from previous Black Hills drives
    - Sunglasses
    - Hat
    - Sunscreen (especially for the ragtop folks!)
    - Warm clothes and a coat (the mountains can still be quite cool in mid-May)
    - Glass cleaner and wipes for de-bugging the windscreen
    - Your favorite car wash and detailing supplies
    - Cash for park entrance fees and meal stops

-----

8. Gil-galad

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Via separate correspondence:

- Gary and Penni will head up from Ankeny and plan to be in Blue Earth for our 8:00 am Thursday departure
    - Steve and Peggy plan to be at Hartford, SD around 10:30 am to join up with the convoy; we should be arriving around that time or shortly thereafter

Two weeks to Blue Earth. :Thumbsup:

9. smieska

smieska New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Retired
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Peggy and I are getting excited to meet up with the group next week. Just a week away.

10. Gil-galad

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Amen. :cornut:

Now that the Caps have made yet another premature exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs I can devote full attention to getting psyched up for the trip. :ihih:

11. Gil-galad

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

Attached Files:

12. Gil-galad

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Dang, inside of 36 hours and it's the quietest run-up to one of our multi-day drives that I can ever remember...even on FB.

Evidently were getting to be old pros at this drill...or else I'm going to have a lonely rendezvous tomorrow evening...:(

13. OVREZY

OVREZY New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Weather looks great -- see you in Blue Earth

14. 05MINI

05MINI New Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Because we are going to be like ninjas! Inconspicuous, invisible even, we will sneak up on you! Oh, wait, that would be in our boring non-MINI cars. Fortunately, MINIs are never, ever, ever inconspicuous! I love being not-normal! :D

15. Grizld700

Feb 2, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Just a very busy work month. We're getting ready to start moving into a new building. There hasn't been a lot of free computer time these days.

That being said. Sarah and I are leaving work early tomorrow and will hopefully be in Blue Earth around 6 or so. :Thumbsup:

16. 05MINI

05MINI New Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    9:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. Bags packed. Cleaning supplies in car. Only 6 1/2 hours to vacation time!!!!:biggrin5::mtrn:

17. Grizld700

Feb 2, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    30 min to vacation time here. Probably do a quick wash before we head out. Then again when we get there. And then probably when we get to Keystone. And then while at Keystone. And maybe again. And then again when we get home. So many bugs.

18. Gil-galad

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Wheels up in 15 min. :cornut:

19. Gil-galad

May 19, 2009
    Male