Nitrous..

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Thumper460, Apr 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    First off.. I have been on the bottle since the 60's!! My cars however have been on the bottle since the 80's.

We have always used the Nitrous for the add'l inexpensive way to build power, yes? And thru the years, there has been some great stories, and dramatic explosions with the stuff.

Well it is the century of 'easy'!! EFI.. makes it all simple!! Keep a small shot of 50 HP and just use a single NOS nozzle, OR go to a wet shot and run as high as 75-80 WHP with ease and safety. ( I am going to max out my 06 with a 100 shot in the future.)

Any way the reason for this post is to let drivers know there is a simple, safe easy way to build power!! Nitrous Oxide!!

My 06 is a one wheel wonder.. on the engine ( at 235 whp) any hard power befor the middle of third, is just a tire spin.. so IF I had more power and no control.. it would be spectacular to watch..lol.

With the button.. it is all on my control.. example, Sat Nite I went out to mess around. Was chosen up by a 5.0 cammed Fox Mustang ( 5 spd / 3.73).
    After my whining for a bout an hour, we decided to run from a roll!! 3500 rpm in First. We rolled..and were off.. 1st was done and the fox was just a bumper in front. Second, and thru my tire spin, he pulled to a half a car.. Third gear, and the MINI was just starting to make up ground..... and I Hit the button!! End results?? I finished with a 3.5 car lead!! Rocking!!

SOOoo... if you are in the need for some awesome power.. look into the Nitrous Oxide power enhancer!! cool??

Just me..................................

Thumper

2. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    #2 KC Jr 54, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    Where do you have your sprayer attached in the intact track ? Before or after S/C (after i assume) ?

Also, did you just plumb your fuel line from the fuel rail vent ? This is something i have been contemplating

3. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I put the nozzel just befor the IC. and YES the fuel is off the fuel rail!!
    1aDaButton.jpg 1adadeliverysystem2.jpg

I have water/ meth on the down side of the I/C

Just me.............................

Thumper

4. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    did ya Know... the Brits ( MINI ) likes to eat 'Rice' and Horses ( Mustangs)??

Nitrous is the way of the future!! LOL

Just me....................................

Thumper

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    How exppensive is a refill, and where do you get it done? Do you have to pull the bottle out and take it somewhere, or can they refill it in the car?

Is a 100 shot a reference to the number of ounces of gas, or the number of seconds it will run at WOT on the button?

How many shots or how long can you run it on one 100 shot charge?

IN TFTF they show the bottles emptying on one run, is that right?

6. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Nice thread!

7. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0

I use a 10 lb bottle of NOS from Thumper.
    1aDaBottle.jpg

I pull the bottle to refill it. I take this one to a shop to fill.. 3.50 @ lb - $35.00 full. However on Thumper ( my 67 fastback) I fill it at home with a bottle from a supplier ( cost is then 1.25 @ Lb)

I got over 20 passes on the last bottle and it still had 3 lbs left in it!! Usage is ALL on how often and what Jetting you use.

One bottle a pass?? Must be a small bottle or NOT a 1.6 engine??
    ( On my 544 with 300 shot I could manage 5 passes out of a 10 lb bottle)

People tend to talk "HP" when discussing Nitrous....'I have a 50 shot", or 'I have a 100 shot'. This is just the way they brag on what they are using... as each engine is basically different, the Jet size is a better way to talk Bottle HP. THEN the results of those jets... you are back to the ....'I have a 50 shot', or I have a 100 shot' ! LOL Cool? Oh and the HP ratings are actual hp ratings... so if the system says it is a 200 shot, and you doubt it, and jack it up to a 300 shot....LOL bring the dust pan!!

Just me................................

Thumper

8. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Well... after I finally installed my a/f gage and found out that I was running a bit on the rich side with my wet shot.. I re jetted my fuel, and will test it again ( against a 5.0 Mustang and Honda's..LOL)

I replaced my TPR1 head with a TPR2R head as well. ( needed the valvetrain to handle the High Lift cams I am testing) When the Head was off, I got a great look at the top of the pistons and the chambers.. rocking!!

Also I now have a great 'colder' spark plug, to keep the chambers cool!!

More as I get it...

Just me.................................

Thumper

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    For those that are contemplating NOS, the location pre IC aids cooling the IAT's. It does diminish the the effectiveness of the NOS but when you are running large NOS jets to compensates who cares?

I am surprised that we do not see a NOS spray nozzle external over the IC. On a hot day before a good run a shot of NOS over the IC could help reduce the IAT's.

Also I here tell that there is a secondary system in the works that will inject NOS post IC for even more NOS HP? :D

10. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I would have thought it would have been more efficient post intercooler. so as not to have to push fuel through it and give it a point to collect in. who knew.

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    If you read my post

I stated that it is better to mount the NOS nozzles after the IC. Unless you are actively seeking to use the NOS as a IC pre-cooler together as al power enhancer.

One of the Pro's to this type of installation is Nozzle access for fast jet changes. Although there are Nozzles with remote jets instead of the type used in the posted pictures. The cons to this type of installation is less effective HP results. All that means is you need much more NOS to compensate the routing through the IC and intake manifold to get the same results if the Nozzles were located closer the intake cylinder runner. The other con is very bad NOS distribution because of the OEM design of the intake manifold. On the MINI the absolute best performing installation for NOS is direct port injection.

12. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    LOL... it is a liquid supercharger.. the restrictions are easy to overcome... it is called ( as Nitro said) just bump the Jet!!

And besides, it is all just a thing....

Just me................

Thumper

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Liquid Supercharger

You got it Mike !

Lets see what have you used over the years..
    Me''

Marvin Miller
    Edlebrock
    TOP GUN
    Venom
    Holly and

NOS

Oh oh wait does my on custom NOS system count? :ihih: :lol:

Mike you and I are getting to old.. Fast and Geriatrics :cornut:

Oh wait you are really old.....hahahaha

14. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yep... real old!! It is a full on blast to have speeding contests with 'kids' 40 years younger..LOL They mostly have all the new wiz bang stuff.. "upgraded' this and that..or "stage 2 or three something".

And along comes an old guy with a walker.. and the OLD school Nitrous.. and spanks them!! LOL ( well OK I dont have a walker!!lol) AND it is still the cheapest power adder out there!!Just me...............................

Thumper

15. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I not only slap the "kids" on occasional acceleration test :wink: but I love the looks on their face when I can out bump'um with my stereo. My subs have Stinger Farad Caps each .They are housed in what looks like a MINI NOS bottle.:D Even the lines look like braided lines and AN fittings.I really need to get a NOS decal on it just for fun. The only thing about the system is with 12 speakers, sub box with *two 8's and 4 amps is the addition weight of about 200+lbs added to the MINI.:frown2:

[​IMG]

*For the Audiophiles I choose 8's in a acoustically sized sealed box for the quick response and snap bass rather the longer sounding bass of a single or larger size sub. With the help of a friend we determined the best frequency response using the aprox. value of the volume of air space within the MINI with me and one passenger and then using a Phonic Audio Analyzer he was able to set my cross over point for close to best real time sound and bass.

Stereo Cap:

Electrolytic capacitors are devices used to smooth DC ripple (as best as possible) and retain DC power levels. Ripple is the result of voltage transients, for example your amp drawing power to push the speaker during a bass hit. This by itself puts a strain on a cars electrical system. A capacitor helps take that strain away by being an additional source of power when the amp demands it.

I know off topic.... and you thought NOS was complicated???:shocked: