Exterior 2nd Gen Thinking of making a light bar.

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by InjectedGT, Feb 21, 2013.

1. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Now, for now this is just an idea in my head as time is tight right now, so who knows..

BUT, I see all these light bar kits and such for the MINI's and it got me thinking... I have all the ability and resources to just make one. I personally would be wanting to make it as inconspicuous and non-intrusive as possible myself but thought I would ask some opinions.

If YOU were to buy a bar to mount driving lights, where would you want the lights to sit and how many? Just to gauge ideas from the general population of MINI owners in case I do decide to make more than one just for myself.

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Just me but, I don't want it to block any air flow to: radiator, oil cooler, inter cooler, a/c condenser. So I guess that that leaves bonnet or roof level which would be difficult and in the case of roof level, not cool. So no driving lights for my Margi(08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) unless you come up with a workable bonnet level mounting.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking if airflow is the main concern(as it should be), then the bracket to hold the bar or brackets would mount through the lower grill close to the top, so the lights would sit in front of the bumper between the upper and lower grills. Though I do like the look of the driving lights on either end of the upper grill, in the grill right beside the head lights. That wouldn't restrict much air flow either.

4. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  5. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Can't do #1 as I have Metal Painted Grill badges there. 3 on each side( that wedge into those corners just right to not block air flow). #2 could be made to work if the lights could be separated to allow for Required Texas license plate. I also have a tow hook so the lic. plate can't be moved there. Come to think of it, I'm a real PITA.:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. Meboko

Meboko New Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Brooksville, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd prefer something like #2, but lower, with the lights in line with the lower grille.
    Wouldn't be too worried about airflow - the air that hits the lights doesn't just stop, it will flow around them and thru the grille.
    I've got a Justa and most of my upper grille is closed off anyway, but then I don't have a turbo to worry about cooling.

7. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    when it comes down to figuring out what type and shape of metals I would prefer to use, I'll start doing measurements and maybe some mock ups and potentially make brackets for the ones with one single one by each headlight, then a bar to mount in between the grills. Just do both to see how I like them, to tinker, and to test. If I go through with it, and like the outcome of the testing, I'll make 2-3 sets of each possibly and just see if anyone wants em.

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    With are so many good light bars out there, why are you wanting to make another one? Just asking.

Jim

9. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Because (no offense if people here get all fearful of offending vendors or anything), they charge way too much for way too little R&D/material/time into a product. I just don't like spending that kind of money. I'm sure there are a lot of "take it to a dealer for an oil change" people in the world, but I'm far...far from that person lol.

10. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Outmotoring: $90 for a pair of over-engineered L-brackets.
    That, to me, is a bit much. I know someone who does powdercoating and even for a small personal job he doesn't charge a whole lot. I can't imagine how cheap a mass produced product job like coating those brackets is. Then you have a couple quick CNC cuts and 30 seconds of welding. All for a total cost of a few bucks per pair I would guess. Then $90 retail plus shipping. I don't mean to sound so mean about it, but that just isn't right to me. $50 per pair I could overlook(though I personally wouldn't pay) as you do need to make money selling a product, but to me a pair of black L brackets for $90 is just taking advantage of people.

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Damn.....
    I can do it cheaper.... here's my $0.02....
    Absolutely no engineering, no CNC cuts, no welding and no powder coat....
    No shipping either.... I'll just pick a UPS truck going your way..... When it stops next door and the driver is making the delivery, run out and look on the back bumper..... Both brackets will be under a 2" piece of silver duct tape..... Grab and run....

Now beat my price.....

[​IMG]

12. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    #12 CHKMINI, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    .....come to think of it, I'll just build my own car. While I understand the desire to build your own brackets and the fact that you will enjoy building/designing them, $90 is a more than reasonable price to pay for light brackets. Having said that, I think it's great that you are passionate about doing things your way and personalizing your MINI. I run a large manufacturing company and after looking quickly at the components required to mass produce the brackets you refer to, Aaron at Outmotoring needs to raise the price on these because he isn't getting the return he deserves.

Back OT, I think the Justa looks great when the lights are positioned in the lower grille.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I think it is great you can do it. Me, I could not design my way out of a wet paper bag with a sharp pencil, so I pay for these kinds of things. Then again, there are things I do and wonder how in the heck someone else can charge $100hr for the same thing. It all comes around.

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Me I pay for what I consider to be god quality products. If they are not my wallet stays in my back pocket. I don't have the skill set to fab my own parts.

As far as lights in the lower grill, agreed they'd look fab there, but a higher mount lets the lights work better. Mine are low, but at the time no one made a decent mount for a higher install. I'm too lazy to redo them.

15. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I again apologize to the people who got offended that their friend/vendor makes something I don't want to pay that kind of money for. This is not personal, and OM specifically, actually has product I will be buying soon. This isn't personal. As Crashton pointed out, there are things I can't do that I will always pay a professional for, but these brackets or mounting bars aren't on that list :D

Again, this thread wasn't to trash talk any retailers, it was simply to see if anyone else MIGHT be interested IF I make more than just a light bar for myself.

"Come to think of it, I'll just build my own car" is the most childish sarcastic remark I could have expected too. So sorry I feel like making something instead of paying everyone for things I have the ability to make. :rolleyes:

16. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Good For You!

17. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    And your comment "after looking quickly at the components required to mass produce the brackets you refer to, Aaron at Outmotoring needs to raise the price on these because he isn't getting the return he deserves." assumes that he has all these big, expensive CNC machines and highly paid welders to make those brackets... and those brackets alone. Maybe he does have that equipment and staffing, but you mean to assume it's JUST for some of those L brackets? No. Those machines get paid for by making far more products than just some little brackets.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    :popcorn:

[​IMG]

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Lets dial back the rhetoric a few notches please.

20. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jason