Exterior 2nd Gen Success with minidomore hitch

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Sckill, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Sckill

Sckill New Member

Mar 2, 2013
    NYC
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just thought I'd share a good experience with the minidomore hitch. I have a 2013 cooper s hardtop and ordered the 1007 hitch, wiring harness, and drawbar from minidomore. Installed it two weeks ago and installation was a breeze. Only complaint was that the drawbar did not fit into the hitch at first, but a dremel with a grinding wheel to shave off a mm or two off the inside of the hitch did the trick.

Yesterday I made a 6 hour trip from ny to vt and back to pick up a motorcycle. I rented a trailer from u haul and the hitch made it easy to get going. I'm sure I got plenty of wtf looks going down the road given that the trailer is bigger than the mini.

20130622_174106_zps05a30bcf.jpg

Overall pretty happy with the hitch and it did it's job. Next time I'm going to see if I can get a smaller motorcycle specific trailer though.

2. Black Thirteen

Black Thirteen New Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It's nice to see MINI's doing real work. Those U-Haul trailers are really heavy though. I went with a PortaChopper trailer, because I can't store a trailer anywhere. It's lighter than that U-Haul, that's for sure. You might want to check them out. I chose the Porta Chops over the Trailer in a Bag, becasue the PortChops has Torsion Suspension and 12" wheel option, and galvanized frame option, and two bars that make the front into an "A" frame and seems much more stout.

I've been reading a lot of people have fitment problems with those hitches. I don't own a dremel tool, so I went with CURT, which went together flawlessly, without any modifying.

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I am looking at that hitch for my 07 CS, and wonder if I would have to cut a hole in my bumper, or could I hide it behind that bumper, and pop out the black insert for use.

Also, was the wiring harness plug-and-play, or did you have to cut and splice?

CD

4. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Bye bye clutch how much weight you pulling