Exterior 2nd Gen Installing Fog Lights/Parking Lights

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by e46tor56, Nov 17, 2013.

1. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    As you all know some Justas do not come with the fog light (bumper mounted) in the parking lights. I want to retrofit these onto my 12 Justa. Are these cars that are not spec'd from the factory pre-wired for the fog light? As for parts I know I need to order a new switch, switch cover, and lights. Is there anything else I will need? Also will I have to have the lights programmed after install?

2. mikeyt

mikeyt New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm following this one too cuz i'm in the same boat with my base '11 CM. Hoping someone will spell out what is needed...

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    This note from Outmotoring should help answer your question...

MINI Cooper LED Front Driving Light Kit:

4. mikeyt

mikeyt New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It looks like that link to the driving light kit needs to be scrapped. OutMotoring made the following comment about those lights: Sorry but we are discontinuing this product due to poor product performance even after numerous updates from the manufacturer. You may consider this option from MINI that is substantially better:

This is their new recommendation but at twice the price: MINI Cooper Factory OEM LED Halo Running Front Driving Light Kit:

The install info you provided is very helpful though.

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2009 Justa. Mine had the front fogs, but not the rear. The wiring harness was there, so I installed the rear fog light, the switch and cover plate. Went to the dealer, who assured me they could program the light, only to find out that, although the harness was there, the codes for the programming were NOT. They had been prior to 2009. The dealer could get the ECU to recognize the light, but not turn it on, so I kept getting a "bulb out"warning. About a year later Way Motor Works, figured out how to do this and got it working for me. This happened to a number of 2009 owners.

I do not know if the codes were replaced after 2009, but I tend to doubt it. My guess it that the same would apply to the front fog lights as well. I would suggest you contact Way Motor Works (They are a sponsor here) and ask Way. He knows his stuff and will give you the correct answer.

6. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    ^ Justa Jim, I did the same on my previous 09 MCS. So I've given up on trying to figure out if I can retro fit these lights on the Justa. It probably getting traded in come spring.