Exterior 2nd Gen Removal of gas cap housing?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Systemlord, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    How does one remove the round housing that (paint matched to the car) the gas cap closes on? I have had my MCS repainted twice already because the collision center was unable or just didn't know how to remove this plastic piece that hold-on to the gas cap, now there's a hard line just under the plastic housing cover for where the cap is located.

Now I must return for a third visit because Caliber Collision in Irvine, CA can't find a way to remove it so the painter just sprays paint into the gap around the rim. If you look closely you can see where the paint gathered up (right side middle) into a crusty ugly pile of paint/crap. It's like that all around the rim edge and is just atrocious looking and now it's starting to peel around the bottom where over-fillers would find gas running out of the tank if overfilled. I for record stop pumping when I hear the first click.

Much appreciated!

Systemlord

Attached Files:

2. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I don't know the answer and I'm not quite sure I understand what the problem is. When the cap is closed does the paint finish look good? Does it only cause you concern when the cap is open? If I understand correctly it's in an area that would only be noticeable when the gas cap was open. If so, that would be called a 'non-appearance' area and I wouldn't give a second thought to it. If all looks good when the cap is closed I don't see where there is a problem. If I misunderstand your concerns I'm sorry,

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I think he is talking about the gray painted area around the filler neck and the cap when the fuel door is open.

What year is your MCS?

Sometimes you can figure it out by looking at Realoem.com and looking at the parts in that area.

4. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I can't believe how easy it was, I'm embarrassed! It came off very easily, it just pops off. This makes the body shop look even more ridiculous, tomorrow I'm going to ask them how difficult it is to get this piece off, then when they told me before that it's pressure fitted in there. That's when I'll pop it off and make them look like the fools they are!

5. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I like your style!

6. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Well I did what I set out to do, I asked them once more in front of my brother and mother, "there is no way for you to remove this plastic cap housing," Caliber Collision manager said "no because there riveted in and aren't meant to be remove".

You should have seen their surprised when I popped off the plastic ring! :) I told them that their expertise is very poor and they turned and walked away from me tucking their tails between their legs. I also told them that they were a bunch of people not qualified enough for their job description in a polite manner.

So I'm taking my MCS to another branch of Caliber Collision in (8:00am tomorrow morning) Lake Forest, CA who have the highest 5 star customer reviews, guess who had the lowest score. Wish I had done my research first.

This will be the fourth time being inconvenienced and without my MCS!

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice job :Thumbsup: Riveted in :lol::lol::lol:

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    That story is riveting....:D

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Don't feel like you have to press them to hard......:D

10. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    And you chose this body shop more than once, why??? Sounds like they're not quite up to caliber...

Glad you were able to solve your own issue!

11. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    AAA recommended this particular Caliber Collision in Irvine, CA. I wanted to give them a second chance to make it right, after they failed a third time I asked my claim handler, "why did you recommend such a lousy body & paint shop. He replied, "we just started using this shop again because there were issues before. I ripped him a new one for sending me there knowing full well that that particular place had bad history!!! :mad:

The reviews confirmed my experience with the Irvine shop, the Lake Forest, CA shop had the best reviews in Southern Ca. The Irvine shop lost big money trying to make a fast buck, now that's the Irvine shops problems. The shop manager at the Irvine shop has been demoted to desk work, a guy told me this on Friday when I explained my experience to him.

I don't think AAA will be recommending that shop again.

12. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #12 Firebro17, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Demoted, that A-Hole shoulda been canned!

On another note, I'm always a little suspect when an insurance company is recommending a specific body shop..... Particularly what sounds like a chain. There's a gazillion body shops in SoCal and I'm certain you'd be better off with a shop of YOUR choice.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your MINI back better than it was before.

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I never ever use the Insurance Co or AAA recommended anything.

They all have preset price agreements with each other and quality does not factor into the deals. Get in, get out, for the cheapest price possible.

14. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    My Mini is probably getting finished right now, I'll know by tomorrow. Took it in yesterday.

If I ever need a paint & body shop again I have found one that happens not to be a chain company, Mission Viejo Auto Collision has a rating 5 star rating out of ‎334 reviews on average on Customer Lobby! On their own website they also have a 5 star rating out of 25 reviews!

15. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    I bring my cars to a local independant shop owned by a guy I shoot with. He's a perfectionist and has won awards at roadster shows.

Dave

16. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    I bring my cars to a local independant shop owned by a guy I shoot with. He's a perfectionist and has won awards at roadster shows.

Dave

17. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    There's an echo in here, lol!

18. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Well I got my Mini back today from the other Caliber Collision Center location and was extremely pleased with the outcome, not only did they drop me off at home on Monday, they picked me up when the Mini was ready. If that's not enough Dan held off on installing the color matched ring that goes around the gas cap, why because he wanted to show me how perfect the job looked and it did look absolutely perfect!

If that's not enough he removed a minor waviness in the quarter panel with a plaint-less dent removal method, see he only worked on the area around the gas cap. That's why I was so stunned when I saw it, you couldn't tell if it had been completely repainted or if he just worked in that particular area. That's how good it looked!

Pictures tomorrow.

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ and that's how all car repairs should go. Glad everything worked out in the end.