Exterior 2nd Gen Splitter Dimensions? - R55

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by vistaracer, Oct 23, 2014.

1. vistaracer

vistaracer New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I am planning on making a custom front splitter for my R55. The one dimension that I am unsure of is how far out the ones that are sold by many of the aftermarket manufactures protrude. I was thinking of making mine in the 3" to 4" range. If anyone would let me know what dimension is on your splitter I would greatly appreciate it.

Lynn

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I don't know but I did adjust the subject to help draw in more potential members with an answer.

3. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    That dimension will depend on how/where it is mounted under the bumper and if you plan to use some kind of splitter braces to help hold up the front edge if sticking out very far. At speed it will catch a lot of air, and curbs when parking if not careful.. I have made some myself and some people trim the back side down so it doesn't stick out front as far and not use the braces, either they don't like the look or because they are alittle pricey.. They cost more then the splitter I make.. Depending on where you are measuring from I'd say 3'' or just over is a plenty but again it's all about the look your after..

4. WINGS1

WINGS1 New Member

May 20, 2012
    Solutionist Machinery provider to Woodworking, Cou
    Clemmons, NC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You can't make one for what N2MINI charges and they're really nice!

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #5 Metalman, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    I was fortunate to get my hands on a factory MINI Challenge Motorsport splitter.... It sticks out 3-9/16" from the front of the JCW bumper.... But more importantly it continues rearward and integrates into the GP2 front belly pan for seamless air flow which helps to generate vacuum.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. vistaracer

vistaracer New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I am planning on putting the braces on the front edge. Has anyone ever made it adjustable? I was thinking of one position for daily street driving and a second location for track days.

7. vistaracer

vistaracer New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would agree, but I enjoy fabricating things and I am thinking of making it adjustable.

8. vistaracer

vistaracer New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That's perfect. Thanks to all. By the looks of these pics I should remove the vertical chin spoiler. I was think making a similar pan than extended back under the engine compartment. Or should I make the front edge of the pan flush with the bottom of the spoiler?

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    You could make it adjustable by slotting the mounting holes, but you'd want to find an easier way of be able to make the adjustment then having to take to bumper cover off each time I'd think.. If you make it go back far enough under the car you could find some mounting points other then the bumper it's self maybe and then the slots would work fine. Granted the further you have something under the less air that will flow up to the engine compartment for cooling if it really matters...

10. vistaracer

vistaracer New Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking of putting some sort of threaded insert in the spots that the bumper is mounted. That would make it easy to remove and/or adjust the splitter.