Exterior 2nd Gen Cold Exterior Trim Blackout

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Promius, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Promius

Promius New Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys

I want to black out my exterior trim (headlight rings, tail lights, grille ring, door handles, gas door, side light chrome) and I dont want to wait till Spring to do so. Would Plasti Dip spray be ok to use in the cold weather? (NYC area, 30s/40s right now). Sadly I dont have a garage to do this.

Thanks
    G

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    I've never used plasti dip myself but was curious and I found that others have used the product in the 40's with very good results. The consensus was to keep the can warm between coats was more important than outside temps. Like I mentioned I have no personal experience with the product I just googled because of curiosity.

3. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I've only used it in warm weather. But as thick as it is I would think that you could end up with a very textured finish.

When I did my gas filler door I heated the part to get the best adhesion.

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I've used Plastidip quite a bit. The secret to getting it to flow for a smooth finish is to keep it warm while using. I accomplish this by putting the can in hot water and returning it to the hot water between coats. I personally would not coat anything in temps below 50 degrees or when the substrate is colder than 50 degrees.