NHTSA investigating 36,000 Mini Cooper S models for engine fires

Discussion in 'Feedback, Reviews & Comments' started by Nathan, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    David Shepardson/ Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington— The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating the 2007-2008 BMW Mini Cooper S for engine fires.

NHTSA said in a notice posted on its website Saturday it is probing 36,000 models sold in the United States after receiving 12 complaints, including 5 alleged fires resulting in a total vehicle loss.

The investigation covers the Mini Cooper S, the Mini Cooper S convertible and the 2008 Clubman edition.

Eight complaints said fires occurred while the vehicles were parked with the ignition off. The complaints show an apparent increasing trend with most complaints received within the past year, NHTSA said.

NHTSA has reviewed field reports submitted as part of its Early Warning Reporting data. A preliminary evaluation has been opened to assess the cause, scope and frequency of the alleged defect by the agency.

NHTSA said no injuries or crashes have been reported as a result of the fires.
    BMW didn't immediately return a message seeking comment Saturday.

From The Detroit News: Autos Insider | NHTSA investigating 36,000 Mini Cooper S models for engine fires | The Detroit News

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The NHTSA PDF can be found here.

Note: This is not a recall, if it was then those affected would be notified. This is a preliminary investigation at this point.

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    This happened to someone during a test drive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kKbivBkJoM]2007 MINI Cooper S Spontaneously caught fire - YouTube[/ame]

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Welp.... It's definitely sitting lower now....

I wonder what brought that on.... I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out being that funky oil line that feeds the Turbo bearing that seems to start leaking around the "O" ring flex joint. Engine oil spraying on a hot turbo body could certainly do something like this????

5. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Kinda freaky, was looking at a 2007 MCS today for the wife. Hmmmm.... might be a good idea after all :) Just kidding.. I love my wife...no really I do.

6. Tall Mini

Tall Mini Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Another story over on NAM today about an 09 that went up after being parked. I think it actually happened only a couple days ago.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    That is just a new way they've come up with to ban their member's. :crazy:

Seriously though, I think MM/Chuck has hit the nail on the head. Oil + turbo = Big Fire....

8. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    The NAM member's fire started away from the turbocharger.

Dave