LED headlight conversions for 2008 S

Discussion in 'Feedback, Reviews & Comments' started by Foxhollow, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Foxhollow

Foxhollow New Member

Jun 4, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good Day,
    I have recently bought a 2008 S
    With 50 K miles. It is my wife's car.
    I had to replace the front headlight which is a halogen bulb . I discovered all the wiring going into the headlight assembly had lost all of its installation .
    Has anyone else ever seen this problem with the lights getting so hot, I don't know if this is the first headlight replacement on this car for it is used.
    I repaired the wiring is best I could by wrapping electrical tape over it. The second headlight went out soon afterwards found the same problem on it the insulation around the wiring was all cracking off as I remove the bulb.
    I elected to buy some LED lamps for both the headlights and have install them. After starting in the car for the first time the headlight symbol came on the dash panel as well as the fog light
    symbol.
    Any news would be helpful from anyone who is tried to fix this problem or is had this problem.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Maybe check the wattage of the bulbs you removed in case the last owner put in more powerful bulbs that exceeded the OEM recommendation....

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    The LED bulbs do not provide enough resistance. That leads to the dash nanny saying you have a bulb out.

I agree with metal man, it was probably a high wattage bulb that made the wires get crispy.

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I've got an 08 S as well, with far, far more miles. No problem with the wiring on the lights at all, but I use the recommended bulbs.

I'd be interested to know if you have success with the LEDs, though I'm not sure how to bypass the computer freaking out about them.

5. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I'm about 98.4% sure that you can code it out with a simple wifi ODBII scanner and the Carly for BMW app. I know you can code out bulb out notifications for just about all of them.

6. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I'd been thinking of paying for that app, and now that's incentive :)

7. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Besides the dash warnings, did it light up and work otherwise? If it did, how was the quality of the lighting? I bring this up because aftermarket LED headlight bulbs often produce worse/dimmer light in a housing designed for a different type of bulb.

Since 2008 MINI didn't offer optional LED lights, there might not be any coding option in the car for removing the warning.

8. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you could code out the lamp warning altogether. Then you would have to walk around the car and look to see if there are any lamps out, like in the olden days.

9. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!:Thumbsup:

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ The bulb makes a difference, but it is the lens / housing & how they are made that makes a difference. A halogen bulb & an LED are worlds apart & not really interchangeable in a headlight designed for halogen. Putting a brighter bulb in usually only makes your lights very harsh for other road uses to have to deal with.

11. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Totally worth it. You can code it so your windows go up and down with your remote, you can set different lights to come on as running lights, register a battery, read trouble codes etc. I've found it very useful.