FES Auto InvisiLens Review

Discussion in 'Feedback, Reviews & Comments' started by Nathan, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    An old maxim states ‘necessity is the mother of invention.’ This statement sums up the MINI aftermarket succinctly. Once the first-generation cars were unleashed on an unsuspecting automotive industry, an enthusiast following appeared shortly thereafter. Once owners were given a chance to use their cars for longer periods of time, small niggling issues popped up [...]

More...

Source - MotoringFile

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    excellent review and product, judging by those pic. its definitely an issue in these cars.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I have those in my vert. They make a huge and positive difference.

4. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

May 4, 2009
    Fontana, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have one on the tach of my R56. What a simple, inexpensive and terrific mod! I only wish they could come up with something for the speedo with factory nav. I'd buy it in a heartbeat

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, I can't use the same technique for the nav speedo as I do for the other gauges. The anti-reflective material I use is flat, and can't be shaped to match the curves in the inner and outer part of the ring.

Richard

[​IMG]

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I read several comments about scratched lens on the MF comments. I have a hardtop R56 so I am not seeing that much of a glare issue but I do note the scratches. Couple great products from Griot's does a really nice job which I believe MA sponsor Aaron of OutMotoring carries

Plastic Cleaner and Polish - Interior Detailing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

7. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I agree that scratches should not be considered a major issue with the factory gauge lenses. Scratches can be removed with plastic polishes.

I wanted to reduce or eliminate reflections off the lens. Scratch resistance turned out to be an unexpected side benefit of InvisiLens but that wasn't my goal. The MotoringFile review didn't do a good job of describing or illustrating the reflection issue.

Here's an in-car photo of a tach with a stock lens:
    [​IMG]
    This scene should look familiar to many MINI owners and they would hardly give this pic a second look. When you drive during the day, watch for reflections of your face, shirt, and hands appearing on the tach. That's a normal experience while driving a MINI and many people accept it as normal. However, my reaction was, "This isn't right" and I felt compelled to fix it.

Now imagine if you could remove the reflections for a clear view of the gauge. This is a photo of the same tach 10 minutes later, with the factory lens swapped out for InvisiLens:
    [​IMG]
    It is the result I had achieved with InvisiLens.

Here's a photo for direct comparison. This is not a Photoshop. I actually cut lenses in half and mounted the left side with stock and the right side with InvisiLens:
    [​IMG]

Richard

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Great product Richard.....
    I didn't realize you also developed the R56 Spedo lens (with the radio cut out slot). :Thumbsup:

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. The R56 speedo was challenging and there were multiple obstacles to overcome. It was invaluable that I was able to do the development at TechShop, where I can operate a laser cutter myself. It enabled me to cut a lens, check the results, tweak measurements and repeat the cycle several times each session. It would have been painful to the same thing by submitting jobs at a shop.

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    That TechShop idea is a pretty slick concept, putting powerful tools in your hands at what I assume is a very reasonable price. I would find myself spending all my free time there. :D