Hendrick MINI vs Knoxville MINI (Sales)

Discussion in 'Feedback, Reviews & Comments' started by Jackson, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jackson

Jackson New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Charlotte
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This post is sharing my recent sales experience on July 15th, 16th 2011
    (Please note that if this post needs a better home; please let me know)
    I am not trying to bash but want to inform the public and share. Although I do plan on contacting MINI USA and do my bashing there.

First I would like start by stating that I leased a 2010 MCS from Hendrick MINI on July 31st 2010. This purchased/lease experience was great. Had no issues. This was my first MINI. Not sure on how good my deal was. It was around $2000 off. The bottom line is that I walked away a happy customer. (I'm sure Hendrick was happy too)

I recently was looking at possibly getting a 2011or 2012 Cabrio. I went to Hendrick MINI about a 1.5 months ago and shopped a 2011 Cabrio. I also went to Flow MINI is Winston Salem and Global Imports in Atlanta (MINI).

Flow MINI - Winston Salem ***** A-
    I would like to say that Flow MINI was terrific when I arrived on site. I was the salesman main focus and he was very cooperative and friendly. He was the one actually was talking me into waiting and ordering a 2012 Cabrio. He showed me the in and outs of ordering and all the aspects of the MINI Cabrio. He was very helpful.
    The only downfall to Flow MINI was I called several times beforehand and it was hard to get them to call me back.... and work with me on the phone. Again after skipping the phone and going directly.... I was happy.

Global Imports ***** A-
    These guys were great. I had to wait a little bit for a sales guy to come available..... but this was fine with me and understandable. They actually let me take the test drive by myself and let me have free rain. They called me back several times but not too much. Very cooperative.
    My only negative comment would be the sales guy seemed like he was "Green" on MINI knowledge but was great on the fact that he would find the answer and treat me right.

Hendrick MINI 1 year ago **** B+
    Mostly good.... finance took way to long. After agreed price was set.... it still took 2 hours to get out of there.

Hendrick MINI 1.5 months ago *** C at best
    Salesman was friendly. But I was not his focus. I did not feel like he wanted to sell me a car, but to do the minimal he could to get by. Played on phone etc. He did show me a few cars and gave me some options and also let me test drive 3 MINI's. He did NOT show me the in and outs of the Cabrio and give me his personal touch.

Hendrick MINI the last weekend * F (FAIL)
    Friday--
    I called to make an appointment. I also asked to have a new salesman hoping to get better service. (this seems to be my first mistake, maybe.... not sure if this pissed them off or what) When I arrived; my sales women was with another customer and she nicely came and introduced me to another salesman. Which was fine with me. I was optimistic and hopeful.
    This salesman treated me the same as the fist. Here's the key, lets drive, what do you want... let's move on.... I will do the least possible. WOW! this can't be happening. Some good news is the GM Sales guy remembered me and reevaluated my car and confirmed the trade in value. He was nice and friendly and treated me like I normal sales men/women should. As soon as he explained some options to me and handed me back to my salesman .... I proceeded to follow him as directed.... than my salesman immediately told me to stop and go back and sit down in the waiting area. No explanation.... just harsh. Okay ...... I will do as I am told. I waited about 10 minutes before he comes back to me and then takes me to a desk. As a side note.... I believe he was just trying to get an available desk. But who knows... he didn't explain anything to me.
    Okay now we are talking and he is following the GM's advice and seeing if they could locate a 2011 Cabrio that I like. Did I mention that the GM explained to me that they could give me a better deal on a 2011 Cabrio vs me ordering a 2012.... but of course the decision was up to me. There was no luck on finding what I wanted. Okay so we printed off my build from online. The salesman is still not real friendly but he was working with me. I made a comment about the JCW in the showroom and showed little interest. They ran numbers on ordering a 2012 Cabrio vs the JCW. The JCW was going to be cheaper. Wow! this changes everything. Okay there were things I was not crazy about on the JCW but I was willing to accept the car for what it is. I just was not where I wanted to be for payments. So after 4 hours @ the dealership ... I decided to go home and think about it for the night. The salesman agreed and was not pushy. But not really around much either.
    So I started to drive home and remembered that they had not pulled my credit and that the numbers they gave me was on the highest interest rate. 7.99%. So I called the salesman 10 minutes after I left and the receptionist stated he was already with a customer. Okay... no problem; can the Finance guy take my credit app or GM? Sorry no only your salesman. But he "Will" call you back in 5 minutes. okay. thanks!
    No call back... and when I called back because I had not heard anything it was too late. CLOSED --- Okay Bummer ....maybe tomorrow.

Saturday--
    They open @ 9am. No call. I started doing some online research to make sure I couldn't find a Cabrio I wanted. Called Flow MINI both locations, Atlanta, Greenville, and Knoxville. Knoxville has one. It has almost everything but had some red trim inside that I was not crazy about. But it was 98% there.
    @ 10am called Hendrick and all sales team was in there morning meeting. Okay... please have someone call me. He called soon afterwards and I missed his call. I immediately called back and he was with customers. Darn! Okay I need to get my credit run. No one can help you sir BUT your salesman. Okay please have him call me. (I know that my credit / interest rate would tell me about what my payment would be; I wish they would have called me yesterday as they said they would.

I started to deal with Knoxville MINI. The salesman was usually always with a customer; but returned my calls and dealt with me as much as he could. Very nice on the phone and helpful. He emailed me pics, and called me a few times to followup between 10-12. So I needed to make a decision. Wait for Hendrick or drive to Knoxville. I really wanted the JCW.... but also was interested in the Cabrio in Knoxville. So @ 12 I still had not heard anything from Hendrick. So I called back. I was able to reach my salesman.... wow ... great!
    Well I explained to him that I wanted my credit run and that I was headed to Knoxville but would turn around immediately if I knew my interest rate and knew that the JCW was within my price range. I explained that I wanted to buy the JCW today and did not want to drive all the way to Knoxville. He stated he was sorry he did not call me last night (did get my message) and it was not his fault that he was busy with customers last night. He also stated he was busy with a customer currently and that he COULD NOT take my credit app right now and that he would have to call me back. WHAT!!! No sir.... What do I have to do to get my credit run? Than suddenly with no notice I hear the receptionist asking me for me details. Okay this is better than nothing. She states that the Finance manager will call me as soon as he has some numbers.... and it should not be long. Okay Great!
    Well I am still headed to Knoxville. After an hour since I gave Hendrick my Credit app.... I ended up calling again. Salesman is busy and was told again finance guy would call me as soon as he has the numbers. Okay, thx
    So after that attempt I called my salesman in Knoxville, he was busy but returned my call within 5 minutes. I asked if they could run my credit. Of course Mr. Jackson... I am busy right not but will call you back in a few minutes to get your info. Immediately and unexpectedly I had the Finance guy from Knoxville call and take my info. Nice and no issues. 5 minutes later the GM from Knoxville calls me and introducing himself and was very, very, very pleasant. I was also surprised to hear from the GM... not expected. He went through the numbers and told me I was approved for 2.9% special. Wow! that's a long way away from 7.99%. Now the payments are better. I explained to Knoxville the truth that I was dealing with Hendrick but having a hard time and no luck. But I was on my way. I mentioned that I was interested in their JCW. He thought I wanted the Cabrio.... I said yes.... but the JCW would be better. He mentioned that he had a JCW that was not on their site... in the showroom. I was suddenly excited and asked for more info. So now I had two options in Knoxville. Awesome! I honestly though still would turn around in a heartbeat to go back to Hendrick if the numbers were right. Especially since now I knew my interest rate.

After another hour I called Hendrick again. The salesman was busy but I told them I was almost to Knoxville and that I needed.... begged for my credit info.... so I could turn around and buy their JCW. I was put on hold for 10 minutes and than the salesman came on the phone and said that someone would call me back as soon as the numbers were ready. 3 hours and still nothing... why. We are busy and we will get to you as soon as we can. Than he proceeded to argue with me on that it's not HIS fault that he is so busy and that basically I was not important. WOW! I was in awe. So I cowardly went away.

I arrived to Knoxville and was greeted nicely and they treated me like any buyer should be treated. I immediately met the salesman, and the GM came rushing out to greet me. From the receptionist, salesman, GM, and finance guy.... all very personable and great. Actually 3 or 4 salesman came up to me and was just overall friendly. They were happy that I was getting the JCW but sad to see it go.
    At 5:15pm while I was waiting for MINI final approval I called Hendrick (since I still had not heard anything in 5 hours since I gave them my credit app) and to my surprise they were closed. I thought they closed @ 6p.... but I was wrong. Again ... I was in Awe. They never called me back.

So in the end as the say everything happens for a reason because the JCW I got from Knoxville was better for me than the one at Hendrick. But not knowing about the one in Knoxville, I would have gotten the one at Hendrick... if they would have ever called me back EVEN after being treated so poorly. It's like I was begging for more mistreatment.

Sunday Hendrick was closed.

Monday I waited to see if I would hear from Hendrick. Nothing! So at 2pm I called and requested to speak with the GM. Left a message. He did call me back pretty quick and listened to me somewhat. He apologized but also was stuck on the fact that they were busy and sorry they lost my business. He really didn't have to much to say.... but I guess what could he do at this point. They did run my credit and my file was on his desk Monday morning. But because he was still trying to recoup from Saturdays sales .... he had not had the time to call me.
    Later that day the salesman called me and apologized but to me it sounded like something he was told to do and HAD to do.

Bottom line... I never tried so had to buy a car from a dealership and be treated so badly. My wife and I purchase new vehicles about every 2 years. I sometimes shop other vehicles /dealerships just for the fun of it. I also shop / buy Harley's.

Knoxville MINI - ***** A++
    Wow, the quickness, responsiveness and friendliness was unbelievable. Maybe cause I was being treated so badly from Hendrick that any better experience would have seem golden? The bottom line though is I walked out of Knoxville MINI a happy customer and have to say that through all my purchases they had the best experience. I think a lot to do with the speed. I was in and out in about 2.5 hours. I was only with the Finance guy for maybe 15 minutes. Most the time consumed was the little haggling and getting MINI approval. MINI financial was swamped and because I just paid off my Harley, I had to get my app looked at by a live person vs a computer.

BTW Knoxville MINI was also busy. I know that I was 1 out of 4 sold deals while I was there. Salesmen were busy making deals.

As a side note: The great thing about going to Knoxville MINI was taking the long way home and taking the Tail of the Dragon. So anytime I need to go to Knoxville MINI is an excuse to take the Dragon ;)

Thank for reading this long post/Vent. I mainly wrote this to share my experience and hopefully if anyone starts to see an issue with Hendrick...don't do what I did. Just leave and go somewhere else. It's not worth the headache. The only way we can vote for businesses is through our wallet. Hendrick just lost my $$$.

Greenville SC MINI
    I have heard good things about them, no personal experience. Although the GM an Knoxville recommended them.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with the various dealers.

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Just read your reviews on the Tarheel forum, thanks again.

4. phinz

phinz New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Herb was my salesman at MINI of Knoxville. I've had great experience with everybody at the dealership so far. A pretty darned good bunch of folks. We've bought two of our three current cars from Grayson, and they've been leaps and bounds better than they were 20 years ago when my wife had her E30. I've been pretty darned impressed.