Review: EXOGEAR Mount

Discussion in 'Feedback, Reviews & Comments' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Jul 27, 2011.

1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    EXOMOUNT

I ordered this and REGRET it!

Let me list the reasons:

~The ONLY surfaces it will stick to are glass and counter-tops and you'd better hope that the surface it 100% horizontal because ANY degree of angle will cause the mount to slip, regardless of how squeaky-clean.

~The clamp is rotational, but the angles produced just weren't working.

~It fits nicely into the cup holders under the center stack, but it will NOT stick even though it is a horizontal surface.

~Yes, the clamp opens wide enough to hold something 5" wide, but do NOT expect the polyurethane lined grip to hold your item securely. My cellphone (MyTouch 3G Slide) measures 2.3 x 4.5 x 0.6 inches and weighs only 5.9 ounces, yet after just 2 miles of driving (nothing spirited at all) my cellphone had gradually wiggled out of the unit and onto the floor.

~The base, when used on GLASS or a counter-top, DOES have a good solid grip; however, the clamp itself feels like it's going to crack at any given moment!

~I decided to test the glass theory by attaching it first to the windshield and then to a side window on Schultze. I didn't put anything into the clamp; I simply mounted it to the glass. In less than an hour the mount had disengaged. I have film tinted windows & windshield, so I decided to try it on a car that doesn't have any window tint film applied and ended up with the SAME results.

~When I added a small piece of padded drawer/shelf liner (Basic Grip Shelf Liner - White (12x5") : Target) my cellphone stayed in the clamp, but the mount itself still wouldn't hold.

I suppose if I were desperate enough to MAKE it work, I could figure out how to MAKE the mount stay in place in the cup holder, but I just don't think it should need so much "adaptation" out of the box.

Just wanted to share my experience with this device...:mad2:

2. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear of your problems with this mount. I was really hoping it was going to be all that it looks to be, but based on your experience, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on one.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmm.... I wonder how they got it to stick to all of those embossed surfaces... False advertising?

My Chihuahua read your report and she's happy I didn't get this to window mount her to the passenger side......:D

4. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Well, unlike my cellphone, she's soft & cuddly and less likely to shatter when the mount gives way. :biggrin5:

I'm planning on emailing EXOMOUNT to let them know what happened.

You should post a pic of your furbaby.

(hmmm...now there's a thread idea!) :idea:

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Ok, here's furbaby....

Her name's Chiquita.... She's a sweetheart...:D

image-1748506301.jpg

6. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Alright, now I gotta post one of my guard dog! She's usually watching over OldBlue, and hops inside and curls up on the seat and falls asleep as I'm washing it! :biggrin5:

Attached Files:

7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Adding another negative EXOGEAR Mount review here.

I was hoping to position my iPhone above the tach in order to use/view one of the available skid pad apps but the suction cup didn't come close to holding on the textured MINI dash. The only non-glass surface I could conjure up as a viable alternative was the overhead cover plate for the bluetooth mic, etc. It adhered okay to this surface; however, with the weight of the iPhone in its jaws the device shook like a dog after a bath (keeping the canine theme intact) while driving on all but the smoothest road. Most of it seemed to be due to the instability of the mount and not the mounting surface.

Might work for some other creative application, but IMHO don't bother if you were thinking of using it for your smartphone in your MINI.

8. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Delkin Mount

Here's a camera mount I'm trying out for the first time today, the Delkin Fat Gecko Mini. I have a CruiseCam headrest mount as well that works great, but gives an all to clear pic of the speedo! Put the Delkin mount and camera on 3hrs ago in a 95deg garage and so far it's still holding solid. I've got a remote for the cam that allows on/off, zoom and still pics w/o moving my hand more then 6" from the wheel. Will be doing some canyon carving in an hour to see if it stays put. With my kind of luck I'll probably hit a 1/4lb June Bug directly in front of the lens in the first mile, LoL Will let you know the results. :postcount

Attached Files:

9. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    LOVED your description "...shaking like a dog after a bath." That's exactly what happened with my phone and which is why it wiggled itself down & out of the "clip".

If they don't allow me to return it for a full refund, I guess I'll have to use it as a photo frame holder, similar to their example of using it for a Kindle/iPad (?).

10. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Delkin Update

My new Delkin mount is working real good so far. Still hasn't fallen off and the short video I made was clear and nearly vibration free. I'm pretty sure what vibration there was was caused by the camera mounting arm just touching the dash. I could see the camera vibrating, but the Sony HDR-CX150's image stabilizer eliminated most of it. Will be moving the mount to the right to be directly in front of the passenger's seat and with the arm not touching anything. Got it at Amazon for $28 and have no complaints yet. :smilewinkgrin: