MINI Rocketman dead?

Discussion in 'Future MINIs' started by Nathan, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    CAR Magazine is reporting that the Rocketman concept has been shelved.

From CAR

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmmm......Toyota managed to do all that with the IQ, coming soon to a Scion dealer near you.

Oh well.... I guess MINI has enough on their plate with the new models it does have coming out.

3. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Does the iQ handle well? (Serious question)

I love the basic idea of the Rocketmam, but I'd rather they NOT build it if they can't make it drive like a MINI should.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Aston Martin version of the iQ aka the Cygnet

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWvU5M2R9Fg&hd=1]Drifting Aston Martin Cygnet Car Park Drift - YouTube[/ame]

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm not sorry the rocket blew up on the launch pad.

6. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I've never driven an IQ, as I don't think they're here quite yet, but once they are I'd like to try one just for fun.

I'm not really equating a Toyota with a MINI per se, just saying that it didn't seem to be a big or expensive deal for Toyota to get their mini car approved for sale here. IOW, I don't think the size has anything to do with it, more just a corporate (read: beancounter's) decision, and they decided to spend the money elsewhere.

7. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I don't see why it would be SO HARD to make an even smaller car handle like a MINI. I really liked the Rocketman (in theory more than in execution, however), so I'm disappointed to see them not go in that direction. They're talking about a lot more vehicles that DON'T drive like a MINI, IMO, so I think it would have been nice to balance that with another classic-eque MINI.

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Um.... was the Rocketman ever ALIVE for it to be killed? Isn't a definition of a concept car one that is interesting and lets the designers/engineers try out some cool thoughts but that is never intended for production?

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Just for fun I went to the Scion scite and specc'd and priced up a new IQ - first disappointment? CVT only....

2nd? No choice of interior color, or seats, or doorpanels, or style or anything! You can have it anyway you want as long as it's grey and exactly the same as all the others!

3rd? you had to buy 18" wheels in order to get anything other than steel wheels and hubcaps, although you did get 2 (two! Count 'em) hubcap choices. The 18" alloy wheels were only $800 tho....and they looked OK.

4th? Price - it came to just shy of $19K, and I didn't option it up much at all. I really thought these were going to be $12K cars.....

No wonder they sell so many FIAT 500's in Europe (especially England)

10. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I think that may be the issue for the Rocketman, as well. MINI may not be able to undercut the price of the "regular" MINI by enough for people to buy the notably smaller Rocketman. I mean, look at how well all the cars smaller than MINI are selling... and by selling, I mean not selling.

11. MikeMiniJCW

MikeMiniJCW New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Consultant
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The rear drawer

That is kinda cool. Maybe some of the concepts will move over to the F series? I hate the idea of throwing my skis on a roof rack. I don't want a rack because it throws the look off. I just want a drawer to pull out when I need it!:fingerscrossed:

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, I agree with Nathan, the only thing that's going to rev up small car sales is anothe fuel scare....

And with Europe banning the importation of Iranian oil, things could get "interesting" again.

All we need is a real blow up in that area and IQ's, Smarts and MINIs will be going for Cygnet money!

Mike, your 2012 Auto trans is not a CVT, be glad of it too !

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Those darn CVTs drag all the fun out of whatever they are bolted to. :frown2: