MINI Rocketman back on the table, might go aluminum

Discussion in 'Future MINIs' started by Nathan, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Mini just doesn't want its Rocketman concept to die. It unveiled the truly mini model at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show, and since then, there have been countless on-again, off-again rumors about the possibility of it going into production. If the latest talk proves true, a smaller vehicle like the Rocketman might make it into the automaker's lineup after all, as competitor to other stylish city cars like the Smart ForTwo.

According to the company's head of design, Anders Warming, speaking to Auto Express, Mini likes the idea of having a smaller model in its lineup, but it has to figure out a way of actually making it work. Warming is clear that the next iteration of the Rocketman concept (or whatever it's called then) won't be seen until a design is ready.

There are still plenty of challenges keeping a production Rocketman off of the city streets of the world, and chief among them continues to be finding a platform. But Mini is at least considering it. "At the moment, we don't have the right tech solutions, but we are working on it. We don't yet have a final solution, you could say," said Warming to Auto Express. He also thinks the final version would drop the concept's carbon fiber in favor of more aluminum components.

The other key is getting the interior just right, and Warming's plan is to keep things simple. "Driving in the city is stressful enough, so we need a reduction in the number of elements," he said to Auto Express.

If Mini can jump these hurdles, then a city car like the Rocketman might make sense in the lineup. After all, the standard Mini Cooper is growing with every new generation. But with no platform or design ready, it might be a few years before we see a production version, if at all.

Source - Mini Rocketman back on the table, might go aluminum - Autoblog

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Someday....... A 5 door Rocketman.... Can't wait....:D

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    MINI doesn't build small cars anymore. A concept that was never built & likely never will be, nothing more nothing less.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What does that say about a car manufacture called "MINI" that cant make a small car?

What next the MINI Hummer......wait that just does not sound right. :rolleyes::lol:

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Only thing I take issue with is this:

"as competitor to other stylish city cars like the Smart ForTwo."

If they consider the Smart ForTwo stylish, we have a problem...

I love the Rocketman concept, always have. If there is a way to modify one to ridiculous WHP levels (unlikely), I would consider buying it. There is no other current generation MINI I'd consider at the moment, even remotely.

6. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    This should be encouraging news. Why all the whining?

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Because wine always makes you feel good... Cheers:Thumbsup:

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Kind of like NAM around here now, with post editing.

Motor On:Thumbsup:

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Wrong....

M/A doesn't live for the advertisers, it lives for the members.

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #10 cct1, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Edit: I owe Nate an apology for the first post. This one's 100% on me. I made a mistake over what was and wasn't edited, and where it was edited. My bad, and I'm truly sorry for screwing this thread up.

As for the post about this all being about MA members, I wish you wouldn't go there.....You do make money off the site, you solicit vendors and sell items, and NO ONE faults you for that. But please don't portray the site as soley about members, especially when no one has a problem with you making a bit of money on the side with vendors and swag. And there have been times here where certain vendors have been allowed to take certain liberties at the expense of members. To your credit, you did eventually correct that. MA's not perfect, and no one expects it to be. Just don't portray it that way.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Because they have not made a good looking car for years and this picture above will NEVER see production. Count on it.

No rose colored glasses here, just the truth.

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Dave, you're probably right on that, but still, it does offer a tiny sliver of hope.

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long Long Time)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GAKOLOnfV4]Elton John - Rocket Man - YouTube[/ame]

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Ugh. Now I don't want one.