Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen I Am Dead Sirius...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Gil-galad, Sep 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    #1 Gil-galad, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    Happily motoring along thru the countryside about six weeks ago, leveraging the sixth month of my one-year complementary Sirius subscription in my '11 MCS w/MINI Connected+Nav. There were thunderstorms with impressive lightning in the area, but nothing within a couple of miles of the MINI. The music went silent, and I noticed on the display that the system had lost connectivity with the satellite. I thought maybe a heavy rain cell had positioned itself between the car location and the satellite. All of the available satellite channels still showed on the list, my pre-programmed channels were still there, the little "puppy dog" icon was illuminated as normal, the display still showed four bars of signal strength; but the status line never got past displaying the word "Acquiring..." That behavior didn't change for the rest of the trip and persists to this day.

Honestly, with the MINI Connected web radio, albums on my iPhone4, Pandora, and the local RF stations, I'm not missing the Sirius all that much. Frankly, I've heard so many stories about haphazard, abhorrent Sirius customer service that I was already on the fence about initiating payment for the service in four months. On top of that, it seems that the whole satellite radio business model may be on the verge of going the way of the dinosaurs anyway.

The fix could be a simple as a software reload (which in itself could create issues) but I have nightmares of the dealership ripping apart the dash panel and seats trying to fix a problem that, in the end, is pretty low on the priority list. Knock on wood, my MINI otherwise has been completely 100% problem-free for its first 10K miles. I'm leaning toward thanking MINI USA for the six-month trial and moving on.

Any thoughts?

2. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    I've had Sirius in various cars since they first started several years ago. I love being able to drive cross country - heck even into Canada and not have to worry about changing stations. Recently with Pandora I've been using them a little less but I still like the variety. I have had no problems with their customer service - they even credited me when the car was out of commission for a month.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I myself never saw the need for it as I have a nice collection of music.

4. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    A similar thing happened to me and I simply contact Sirius, explained what happened, and they sent a special file OTA to my unit and everything has been perfect since then and that was maybe 6-7 years ago.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    We've had it in the bride's Audi for 6 or 7 years now, and she absolutely loves it.....however, she really only listens to 2 or 3 channels! I have about 10 presets in my favorites, but frankly on long trips, I prefer to just turn it off.
    I do like some of the old radio serials they play on the radio classics channel, and she likes the fact that she gets a high quality classical music station - which KC no longer has.

But is it worth $15 a month? not in my opinion......

And with new cars offering so much more content (like Pandora) thru Web connections, it hardly seems necessary.

Our Audi can lose the link when I drive under a tree, too.....

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    +1 for what Erika said. I rarely have a problem, but calling them always fixes it. :Thumbsup:

Jim

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    XMcuse me....

I have an XM direct setup in my MINI, a simple clean install. I love the variety of commercial free music it provides me. I don't mind paying what it costs, for me it is well worth the money spent. XM has been very trouble free. I can lose a signal sometimes, but that also happens with terrestrial radio. The few times it has been a problem I've gone online & refreshed my radio signal via the XM/sirius site, quick & easy.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Now me on the other-hand refuses to pay for radio unless it is on my terms. I do not subscribe or even own a device that I would do this with. I choose to spend my radio dollars on programming I like, such as public radio and NPR programming cause well...like my buddy Garrison Keller I to have a face born for radio. Besides, here at M/A all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    NPR fan here too. I don't spend my money on coilovers just donuts & XM for me ears... :donut1: :biggrin5:

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, you couldn't hear the radio in Gnat anyway. :lol:

Jim

11. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    It's probably an issue with poor weather seals in the Satelite antennae. It should be repaired under warranty. Mine was.

Mine got caught in a snow storm going over the pass to Las Vegas (yes, it does happen) did EXACTLY what you said witht eh constant "aquiring" and never came back to life. Dropped it off at the dealer. Swapped the antenna and seal and I have been trouble free for the 18+ months since.

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    LOL. When I first read that, I thought you were talking about the seals in the satellite (in outer space), needing to be replaced under warranty. :lol:

Jim