Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen OEM Bluetooth Hands Free

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Justa Jim, May 30, 2012.

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    OK, been playing with this, reading the manual and find it confusing. How do you get it to use voice command to make a call? The phone is paired and the phone book is there, but when you say "dial name" it says "phone book is empty".

Jim

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    you have to program the names into the vehicle before you can use voice command to dial. It is really aggrevating. My F350 truck works ten times better than this BMW installed crap in the Mini.

3. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll play with that tonight. The parrot system I installed in mine, just lets me talk directly with the phone. It will be a real PITA to have to program in all those names. Guess this will help me decide if I want that or not. :Thumbsup:

Jim

4. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    yes I agree real PIA. Im my truck I just get in, bluetooth connects, push the voice button and tell phone, call (name) and it calls them no issues. This Mini system is difficult. I just use my the buttons on the steering wheel to scroll thru the phone book till I get the name on the screen I want and then press the phone button. I am looking for more info for you.

5. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Jim here's what I did while in the phone interfacebut my phone has had to be reconnected several times due to it and the car not synching up so I don't use voice commands to make calls. I got tired of re-doing it.

1) Push the talk button on your MFSW (there should be beep indicating the computer is ready for a voice prompt)
    2) Say "Save Name"
    3) Say "Call Mom" (computer will prompt you to say it again)
    4) Say "Call Mom" for the 2nd time (computer will prompt for the number)
    3) Say digits making up Mom's number
    4) Say "Save Name"

There, it should be stored.

To save another name, repeat from step 1.

and here is sopme more that may be useful;

Speaking "Help": Lists commands that you can use:

1. Dial Number
    2. Dial Name
    3. Save Name - used only for the first name and number to be remembered
    4. Delete Name
    5. Read Phone book
    6. Delete Phone book

Other commands not listed in manual or help function

1. Quit - used to quit the system if you do not want to use the buttons in the steering wheel or dash.

Other commands required but not listed in manual or help function

1. Add Name - Used to add extra names after the first one remembered.
    2. Yes - used to answer some questions but not all from the system
    3. No - used to answer some questions but not all from the system
    4. Save - used after speaking name and number to save the contact.
    5. Dial - must be used in place of yes when the system asks "Do you want to dial ????"

6. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much. Maybe I'll get the main ones she calls in and forget the rest. Neat trick of scrolling through the phone book. :Thumbsup:

Jim

7. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Another technique, Jb, before you enter names in the phone book is to dial the number by voice. The command is "dial number" after which you are asked to say the number all at once. I find it to be pretty fool-proof.
    Jim

8. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    JECO that is true but I can't remember the dang numbers to do it that way!!

9. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Hey, Rum. That's a real problem we can't blame MINI for. In those cases, I don't make the call either and hope they call me!

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yep, same here. I use auto-dial so much, I don't know the number where my wife works. Thanks for the suggestion JECO. :Thumbsup:

Jim

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    This OEM Blue Tooth is a PITA. To program a name you have to say each number and wait for the "voice" to repeat it and ask for the next one. Took ten minutes to program TWO names. Then I try a call to activate the XM radio. Well, when the phone is paired (I called them on my wife's phone) you can't get to the radio to give them the activation number. So, I called them on my (not paired) phone and twenty minutes later I was still being switched from person to person, so I hung up. I'll try it this weekend when the calls are free. :mad2:

I think on my next MINI I'll just take the dash apart again and install the Parrot hands free from New MINI Stuff, like I did in mine. I just push the button and talk to my phone. :Thumbsup:

Jim

12. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Jim I agree, the Mini setup is a PITA! My F350 is like the parrot system you refer to, get in, push button, talk to vehicle, tell it phone and then stated who to call and it starts ringing. not sure how BMW came up with this dinosaur of a system for Mini but they screwed that one up bad!!!

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking they simply bought some outdated technology, cheap and tossed it in at a good profit to themselves.

Jim