Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen Antenna Base

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by B.A.D., Apr 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone had to replace their antenna base? I noticed this morning that mine is broke (not sure what caused it) and I'm going to need to replace it and was curious on what the process is going to be to install the new one.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I have but on a 1st Gen car. For that the headliner needed to be dropped in the back of the car. I can't imagine it being much different in a Clubby.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I suspect it's pretty similar to first gen... which is a few plugs for the cables and one big nut that holds the assembly on from the bottom, once you get access to it.

4. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Hey Brian have you talked to MAG? Wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Brian.... Mine loosened up after one of their washings (assumption on my part), so I don't let my MINI get warshed anymore....

I had to remove the rubber sealing gasket but only around the top portion.... Then you can pull the headliner down a little (I can't remember if I removed any interior hard plastic pieces.... I don't think I did). There is a large hex nut that tightens on a special formed washer with "teeth".... You don't want to tighten the nut too tight as I'm sure those teeth will start denting the underside of the roof panel.... There are some cable / wires that need to be pulled off before you can tighten the nut.... I just reached in with the proper socked and twisted it with hand pressure.... Hasn't loosened since....

6. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Did talk to MAG (not Sam or Amber) and was told that this would unlikely be a warranty item, but I could bring it by and they would look at it. I did get an oil change there earlier this week and they did was it, but I was told that the remove the antennas prior to running them through.

I really need to start paying more attention when I get in and out of Yertle. It's like last week when I noticed I was missing the door handle cover off of the passenger door. Luckily I found it at one of three places I had stopped that afternoon after re-tracing my drive home.

7. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Just ordered the part from eMINIparts at a savings of around $90 over what I was going to get from MAG. Now to get the hole taped/sealed up before tomorrow's Hocking Hills run.

8. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Well after about 2 hours the new base is on. Had to take the back interior pillar pieces off to get the headliner dropped enough to see what I was doing.

9. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Got a call from Sam today asking about the antenna base. I explained that I had already replaced it. He offered me a solution to offset my cost and wanted to make sure that we all know to call him if we every have issues with the service department.

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Sam is a good guy....