Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen iPod music stops after two minutes?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Laserboy, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Laserboy

Laserboy New Member

May 25, 2013
    Southern Illinois (St. Louis area)
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hey, folks, I'll be bringing the car in to the dealership tomorrow (I hope) to have them take a look at this as well as a couple of other little problems, but I figured someone else may have had the same problem and dealt with it--worth a post: My wife and I, along with the dog, went for our first real roadtrip since getting the Mini. Two solid days of top-down driving through country roads, blaring tunes from the iPod. When (fortunately) about an hour from home, all of a sudden the music stopped. After much experimentation, we discovered that any song played for only two minutes (as close to exact as we could measure with a stopwatch). Changing albums, artists, or songs had no effect. Anything would play for two minutes, and then silence. The iPod plays just fine when disconnected from the car.

This is a stock Mini stereo without the "connected" system. (A big regret, there, but too late for regrets.) The iPod is a new "classic" type.

Anyone else had this problem? Thoughts on solution? I don't envy the dude down at the dealership who has to diagnose this plus two other intermittent problems! But, hey, that's what "bonnet to boot" is all about.

Cheers.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    1. Have you tried to resetting your iPod ?
    2. Try another iPod and see if it happens with another iPod.
    3. Plug in your iPod to iTunes and check for Software and Firmware updates.

I don't think the problem is your car, it's the iPod.

I have had the same problem before.This year on the way to the Dragon my iPod just stopped playing after 8 hours of driving. I stopped for gas reset it and have not had a problem since.

Resetting iPod Classic is pretty easy; here's how:

Slide the Hold switch, the switch at the top left of the iPod, to "on" (so it's showing the orange). Then slide it back to hide the orange.

Hold down the Menu and center buttons at the same time.
    Hold them for 6-8 seconds, or until the Apple logo shows up on the screen.
    Let go of the buttons at this point.