Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen Mini connect USB music

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by maskeet, Oct 2, 2013.

1. maskeet

maskeet New Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Why do I have to use the "Y" cable that has both a USB and audio cable coming out of my girlfriend's iPod to get music to come out?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you just hook up the audio cable, you will get music to play out of the car's speakers.... Control of the songs will be by the I-phone....

Hooking up the USB cable will allow the radio head unit to display the song, track, artist.... etc. etc. etc. Control of the music will be through the steering wheel or radio connection. If your MINI is equipped with this feature....

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    It's a valid question. The answer is that it's a crude, dorky implementation.

Functionally it works as Metalman described, but MINI/BMW could have done better.

4. maskeet

maskeet New Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ok because I was trying to figure out if it was because her iPod was old or something. I asked because in my focus I just use the USB to iPod

5. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Ford has a great Bluetooth system. My Ford F350 was like your focus, get in, sync bt and it was set. Mini uses an antiquated system for bt.

6. maskeet

maskeet New Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I usually hard wire my iPod with the USB cable to play music while the BT is nice the USB gives better sound

7. Stinker

Stinker Active Member

May 16, 2009
    USPS Maintenance Mech
    Smithfield, VA
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Do they make this cable longer, so you can mount your iphone/ipod higher?

8. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Stinker Do they make this cable longer, so you can mount your iphone/ipod higher?

I'd like to know if they make a longer cable for this also. It seems the USB attachment on ours works in a hit or miss fashion. Some times the head unit recognizes the IPod and can run it, others, only the music plays through the Aux.

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  10. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info and the link.

11. MikeMc

MikeMc New Member

May 9, 2013
    IT
    Central Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Antiquated is a nice way to say it. I just got my 2014 MCM JCW PW and LOVE the car. But the radio and phone interfaces are very disappointing. To keep the price "within reason" and reduce complexity a bit I did not get the tech or connected packages. I had thought the basic radio would be fine and provide access to my iPhone. Kind of but really not so much.

1) only way to use iPhone 4 voicecontrol to make a call is on iPhone.
    2) radio display tags do not line up with buttons so it is hard to see what to press
    3) USB hookup to iPhone does not always work...says Insert USB when it is hooked up and charging
    4) when it is hooked up and working no way to use steering wheel controls to change tracks
    5) when changing track via main radio control the iPhone pauses and you must hit PLAY on the iPhone

Ugh. It's my fault for not spending more time looking at those items but I just expected better or least as good as other brands. Seems MINI/BMW wants us all to pony up another $1200 for packages to match other makes.

I'll survive of course but am just disappointed on these things.

12. MikeMc

MikeMc New Member

May 9, 2013
    IT
    Central Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thought this might be of interest/help for others.

Last night I tried hooking up my first gen ithouch and it works much better in the car. It connected easier and I can use the steering wheel mounted controls to change tracks and the itouch does not pause. So maybe it's a comparability problem with iOS 7. Who knows.

The itouch is not ideal but it's doable.