Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen Diagnosing FM signal loss/clipping and keyfob reception range

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MrBlah, Jun 19, 2015.

1. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    both problems happened at the same time, FM signal is terrible with what seems like clipping

keyfob range went bad, with my key and my wifes 3 month old key.

2009 justacooper with boost radio, no hd receiver, I have a spare diversity module and it made no change, hooked up a standard antenna instead of the diversity crap and it made no change.

anyone know if there are any other modules between the antenna wire out of the diversity module and the head unit up front?

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not sure about the second gen cars, but there is an axillary antenna connection to the rear window defogger wires. If this gets disconnected it can cause some weird problems on the first gen cars.

3. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yeah that goes into the diversity module, the 3 wires appear to be soldered onto the defroster

I bypassed all of that with a regular old FM antenna and it still had the same issue

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Gen1 cars (refresh only with the diversity antennas((glass and roof))) also had a signal booster...powered by power that was backfed up the antenna lead..I cannot recall, but I think on the gen1 cars, it was one unit...any chance you checked the unit for power?Seems to be a common issue for folks when going to an aftermarket radio done by a nonpro Shop...
    Not sure how the key issue might be combined....different frequency...99% sure it has a separate receiver....
    Know every spring when the trees get leaves, many of my favorite stations from Boston drop in signal strength here in NH...about 40 miles from the stations....the marginal ones get more static...a could become annoyingly so till I am 5 miles or so closer to Boston...any chance you might be chasing a ghost caused by the seasons changing or is it VERY SEVERE even on local stations?

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    PS.
    SCRATCHES in a defroster can cause Static on weak stations if it is on....do they all work??

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

7. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    yeah and I bypassed the entire defroster diversity antenna, there was almost no change

8. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Auto Tech NTB Capital BLVD
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Key antenna is in the rear view mirror. If you are having poor reception with even a new key I'd look at replacing the mirror.

9. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Update on the issues

INPA shows full signal strength on my test local channel, and selecting antenna diagnostic and going through all the antenna's yields no change, all of the antenna's had similar static

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,877 / 10 / -3
    If you figure this out I want to know the answer. I have had bad reception and so does a friend of mine. Good luck!

11. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    noticeably better reception after running through the resets in INPA, but still no where near as good as our r53 or other cars

next step is gonna be disassemble the dash so I can reset all the connections in the head unit

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Check the ground connection on the back of the head unit. Mine was not connected properly from the factory and was finally corrected by the dealer some 6 months after delivery.