Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen iPod Connectivity Issue

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by RubyTheRoadster, Aug 31, 2015.

1. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am having an issue with my iPod connecting to my Mini Roadster. It will connect when you plug it into the MINI adapter, and it will show up in the menu of connected devices, but when I go to select it, it drops off the menu and the iPod disconnected. I am not sure what the problem is because the iPod had worked in the past, but now dose not, so I am not sure if it is the iPod or if it is the car.

If anyone has any advice on how to fix this, or how to trouble shoot the problem it would be very much appreciated.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    First thing I always do when the iPod, iPad or iPhone doesn't act normal is close all apps that are running on the device. Then give the device a hard reset by shutting it off fully.

3. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I will have to try that. I will let you know how it works out.

4. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Tired the reboot.
    Had the same problem come up, but since I was parked was able to get a good look at the iPod when it happened. It is an old old iPod video (they might call it classic now?) What seems to be happening is it connects but then the moment you try to select it, it sends the iPod in to a hard reset. The apple logo screen that you send it to manually for a hard reset, pops up on the screen. Dose that sound like an issue with the cars connectivity or with the iPod? (is there a new iPod in my near future?) As other then that the iPod sees to work just fine.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Does th iPod work normally when it's not connected. Try plugging in some head phones and try different songs. If it resets when it accesses the HD it may be bad. If you have an Apple Store near by they will check it for you.

6. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    It works when headphones are plugged in, and it uploads music from iTunes just fine. There is a place in town that deals with apple products, they have iffy online reviews (half 4 &5 star reviews and the other half 1 star) I might be able to take it to, just no clue if they will be able to "fix" it.

7. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well after the 5th-6th hard reset and threatening to take it in to be looked at it is working now. No clue why but not going to argue with it. LOL

8. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    The old ones like that are gone and never coming back. It's all phones now. They still make the iPod Touch, which is just a phoneless iPhone, and the Nano. But the Classic design has been discontinued with no chance of return.

They just weren't selling anymore. Which is a genuine shame.

iPod - Compare iPod models and find the right one for you. - Apple

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    You may have a bad cable. I'm glad it's working. I'm holding on to my iPod classic with both hands!!!!!!

10. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Yup. Same here. Couple years ago my old 80G iPod video stopped synching with the Mini. Nothing I did would make it work so I took it to the Apple Store. They couldn't make it work so they replaced it with the latest 160G Classic free gratis. I'll run this one 'til it dies. :fingers crossed: All the touch features on the new ones are useless with it hidden away in the "secret" compartment, and they don't have the storage capacity.
    Plus... I've gotta run one with the 30 pin connector. Not tearing the dash apart to change the cable.