Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen MINI Connected Issue 2015 R59

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by RubyTheRoadster, Oct 12, 2015.

1. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am having an issue with MINI Connected. I downloaded the app, to my android phone (an older Samsung, don't remember what one but it is like 1-2 generations old) When I plugged it in using the USB cored that came with the phone, into the cars USB port. It did not work, the car did not recognize it and told me to plug the phone in, even though I did. Is there a special cable that I need, as I tried to look on the MINI web site under accessories and the only cables I saw where for the iPhone, not for mine. Or do I have a bum cable, which seems wired as it works when hooked up the the phones charger, and my laptop. I know there is that cradle thing in the arm rest, but I don't see any USB port in it, and it is not the most convenient for me to use as I would have to take my Otter Box off the phone.(and I do have a tendency to drop my phone) Do any of you have some advice.

It is not the total end of the world if it dose not work, but it is frustrating that it dose not because I paid for the connectivity package so that I could connect my phone to that car. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Won't work. The MINI Connected system in 2nd generation (e.g. your R59) only works with iPhone.

MINI didn't start supporting Android until the 3rd generation models (F55, F56). It's in the notes in the Google Play Store, "All you need is a 3rd generation* MINI featuring the "MINI Connected" option". Considering the 1.4 star review rating of this app, you might not care anyway. The iPhone version is rated a bit higher at whopping 1.5 stars.

4. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well that sucks. I don't get why they would not support android its such a popular platform. Oh well. I really don't see myself ditching my android phone for an iPhone. I don't really want to pay for a new phone, and I like android because at this point all my contacts basically transfer themselves when I wind up, up grading.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    They don't because Google wanted all the ECU information so they could use the data. BMW and Porsche among others believe they were being to intrusive. Apple did not ask for all the information and protects the owners privacy.

6. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    No, that's a completely different topic.

This thread is about MINI Connected (and BMW Connected), which have supported iPhone since 2010. These started supporting Android in 2014 models with newer electronics (e.g. 3rd gen MINI). The main reason for the delay was that BMW didn't know how to deal with the many variations and releases of Android phones.

The topic you bring up has to do with car manufacturers offering the new Apple CarPlay and Android Auto infotainment systems. Some manufacturers will be offering both. BMW has not publicly committed to either and wants to continue with its iDrive system, but they will be forced to reconsider because of consumer demand.

Last week Motor Trend published a report saying that Porsche has chosen Apple CarPlay and claimed that they rejected Android Auto because Google demands access to ECU data (note this comes from Motor Trend not Porsche). Google has released a statement saying that the Motor Trend report is incorrect and Android Auto does not collect engine data. Porsche has since stated that they are starting with CarPlay because the majority of their customers use iPhone.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    You are correct! You were talking about Mini connected but my mind was thinking CarPlay. Sorry I stand corrected.:eek: