Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen Radio Problems

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MiniJimi, Apr 4, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MiniJimi

MiniJimi New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    A few months ago, the AM band on my standard 2008 radio became filled with static. It is worse sometimes but never goes away completely. My FM band is completely fine.

Does anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Your antenna is unplugged? or perhaps a corroded connection?

3. MiniJimi

MiniJimi New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I was thinking/hoping it might be the antenna. I'll try removing, cleaning and reinstalling the external antenna before I look inside.

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The alternator can cause static on AM radio too. Bad brushes?

Dave

5. Eurobikegirl

Eurobikegirl New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Formerly, 6 years in car sales, currently Mom.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Old thread, new (but similar) issue...
    Took out my '06 Cooper (no HK) from the garage to 98 degree, super-humid temps.
    I turned on the radio (FM band), had music for 2 minutes, then static, then nothing. Changed stations, got music, static, nothing. It happened on 3 stations, and now I have no Fm.
    I do however, have iPod interface that functions fully.

I have turned the stereo and the car on and off, same issues are present.

What fixed your issue? I didn't see a note above, and I'm curious...

I am new to the forum, but old to cars...

...Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks!

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Don't have an answer for ya, but welcome to the Alliance. :Thumbsup:

Jim

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    One of the MINI genius's will be along soon to help you (maybe Sheldon, Leonard, Rajsh or Howard). In the interim welcome to M/A. We're a friendly bunch here!

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #8 Dave.0, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    Welcome to M/A.

I think the issue you are having is related to the rear roof mounted antenna. I hope you already checked that you still have your outside antenna and someone did not steal it.

If you still have the outside part you could have a corroded connection on the inside of the car in the back.

You could try taking it apart and checking all the connections.

If all that fails to return your FM signal you may have to remove the radio from the dash and check the connection on the back of the radio.

Hope that helps you out. If you want to see a diagram of the area search for the parts on realoem.com and use them to find all the connection points that could have failed. ( I will try and find this for you and update my post)

Real OEM rear antenna wiring: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=RE33&mospid=48021&hg=65&fg=30

P.S. check the fuses because I think I remember our Minis have powered antenna and you could have popped a fuse.

P.S. II
    Your radio my also be on its way out but don't worry you can always pick up a used one here from the market place cheap. I would sell you my old one but I sold it 6 months ago for only $40. If you need a new radio it's very easy to replace. Try searching by Google and you will see them for sale on eBay, NAM and our very own M/A.

9. Eurobikegirl

Eurobikegirl New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, all!

Dave, I will be checking up on the antenna. Currently waiting on the heat/65% humidity to break up here. I have a sneaking suspicion that I have a moisture issue from the sudden temp changes between the garage and the air/soup outside.
    Normally, when I have seen radios go out (many years in the car business), they manifest differently than this one...

I will keep you updated : )

10. derbywiz

derbywiz New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same problem with radio

2010 Copper S convertible, am and fm worked fine on way to work. Stopped for coffee, and now no sound from either band. Display shows stations, CD will play and sounds great, Bluetooth phone comes thru speakers fine, but no static, no nothing from radio. Antenna is screwed in. Haven't checked fuses yet. Weather has been high temps and high humidity. Very strange. Did yours get corrected?

11. Eurobikegirl

Eurobikegirl New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Admittedly, I haven't been driving much, and it's been humid as heck here, so no, I haven't hurled myself into looking for the fix yet.
    I can say that the external antenna is in great shape, as are its contacts, so I am ruling that out. I did discover that if I crank the volume, I do get static, so I am pretty sure it is an antenna issue.
    I plan on checking the fuse first, and then moving on from there...

I will definitely post when I get to getting to it :)

12. Eurobikegirl

Eurobikegirl New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, it has been a few months of self-diagnosing (I don't seem to care that much about my radio, apparently), and I have a solid theory.
    1. I live in a state where, when it gets cold, all of the moisture is forced from the air, making it very, very dry (and cold).
    2. My radio problem started on one of the most humid days of the summer.
    3. The radio works for up to 3 minutes, before it fades through static to nothing. But only on very very dry days, and only when the car first starts.

...Leading to #4, my theory, that as there were issues with the rubber seals around the liftgate lights, I am guessing that the issue is related to moisture buildup and the antenna.

As my ipod jack lets me plug my phone/pod directly in to the car, and the cd still works, I have decided not to "fix" the issue, as I no longer spend much time on the road.

I hope that helps!

13. ohdamn_lupe

ohdamn_lupe New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Remove oem 2003 mini radio 5 minutes quick

[ame=http://youtu.be/q70Lmt5NhsM]how to remove oem radio mini cooper - YouTube[/ame]