2nd Gen "How To" How To: Move the Bluetooth Microphone

pic116.JPG
A few people have commented on how the microphone for the Bluetooth phone kit is on the wrong (passenger) side of the car in the US. A few others...
By COOP310 · Jan 30, 2018 ·
  1. COOP310

COOP310 New Member

May 12, 2009
    Lake Mary, FL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I wrote this a while back on "that other forum" and wanted to bring it over here.

A few people have commented on how the microphone for the Bluetooth phone kit is on the wrong (passenger) side of the car in the US. A few others have moved it to the correct side. I decided to do just that yesterday and thought that I would post some pics. It's a pretty easy mod and I hope that it is just as easy to follow along.

1. The first step is to remove the trim piece that covers the microphone (the one in front of the switch pack. To do this, simply run a spudger or small flathead screwdriver between the trim piece and the headliner. A small amount of prying may be necessary, but not so much that you would damage either piece. The microphone itself is mounted to this piece. It is simply held in place by a small tab. Release the tab and pull towards it then up. You will also want to remove the wire that connects to the microphone

[​IMG]

2. The next step is to remove the holder underneath the trim piece. This is the plastic part that also houses the switch pack. It is held in place by two star shaped screws (I forget what they are called) and six tabs. After removing the two screws simply push the tabs toward the middle of the console and pull down.

[​IMG]

3. After you have lowered the switch pack, simply re-route the cable to the left side of the piece. I routed it through the larger hole in the photo to ensure that the wire was long enough to reach the microphone without being too tight.

[​IMG]

4. Now it's time for re-assembly. Re-mount the switch pack by sliding the switch side in first, making sure that the front tabs catch the ring above the headliner. Snap in the six tabs around the rest of the piece and replace the screws. Plug the wire into your newly right-sided microphone and snap the trim piece back into place.

Don't forget to check to make sure everything works before you motor again! Enjoy!

2. gregd

gregd New Member

May 4, 2009
    Computer Forensics
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Coop - I followed your instructions and it went great. I did have to remove the inner plastic piece because big big fingers couldn't work around the alarm package stuff. I think the whole thing took 5 minutes.

Thanks for posting :tu:

3. thirdraildesignlab

thirdraildesignlab New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    architect
    SF Bay Area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm all over this when I get the car. Great work!

4. joey4420

joey4420 New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Liberty Twp OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am curious if anyone has done any kind of insulation add-on, since even switching doesn't get rid of all the road and background noise... but it does help a ton.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Well, I had a little time on my hands today and remembered reading about moving the bluetooth microphone from the "Brit" side to the "Merican" side. Brushed up with a quick read and the change over went without a hitch, just took a few minutes, and nothing broke. :Thumbsup:

A big thanks goes out to Coop310 for the instructions and the pic's..... well done:D

Oh and by the way, those special screws are Torx T-20's

6. Winston

Winston New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dreamliner Captain
    Kingwood, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the post and great pics. Couldn't get the T-20 screws to budge so I just threaded the mic wire through those two big holes and reconnected. Had enough slack in the wire... Finito!