1st Gen JCW Another broken JCW exhaust

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Onramp, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    The bottom end of the pre-cat on my '06 cracked thru this Saturday at the track. The dealer wants $1,800 for a replacement (reman), and Real OEM lists the part at about $1,300. So heck with that! This is the third time this SS exhaust system has failed. Stainless just cracks.

So I'm going to an aftermarket header. This will be the first time changing out this part. Any hints? I will be crawling around under the car on a "cardboard creeper", but could go to a "rent-a-lift" place if that would make the job easier. I looked at the broken part last night, and was thinking about replacement, but wished I had smaller hands...

I'm open to any thoughtful advice.

Thanks!
    Pat

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Rent the lift it will be worth it. Also check out the Stratmosphere header we have had great luck with them.

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I replaced mine without a lift, it can be done, but of course a lift is better.

4. Onramp

Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Way - but I bought a slightly used OBS header with cat. If this doesn't work out I will look at the Stratmosphere header.

BTW - the pads you sold me are holding up well - they are getting kinda crumbly, but boy - nice bite and they last OK - especially considering I can't get on the track without a student (and some are supersized!).

Pat

5. Onramp

Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Jim:

I just had some shoulder reconstruction, and am thinking that laying on a cardboard creeper might not be so bad. Then again...