2nd Gen JCW Just bought 09 JCW – 2 questions

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by dtsol, Feb 26, 2012.

1. dtsol

dtsol New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, excited to be a first-time Mini owner, but having a couple of issues.

I bought a 2009 JCW with 10,500 miles on it from a local Mini dealer yesterday.

Issue 1: Driving the car home after purchase, I noticed that the engine was rattling/tapping very loudly at idle and up to about 2500 RPM. At 2500 and over, the sound completely goes away. This was not evident when I test drove the car.

Issue 2: The history of the car I bought showed a clutch repair at 44 miles and then the clutch replaced at 10,200 miles. The dealer said it must have been owned by someone who didn't know how to properly drive a manual. I figured since it had been replaced, it would not present a problem again. Is this likely to be a recurring problem? Is there anything that would not be addressed by replacing the clutch? Service record says: clutch kit, flywheel, and bearing were replaced.

Thanks for your help!

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Find out if the timing chain or chain tensioner has been replaced. Might be the dreaded "Cold Start" issue. If that is the case, suggest you get it back to the dealer very quickly and get them to deal with it under warranty, it'll do lots of damage if it lets go.

If the clicking sounds like it's coming from the transmission, it might be the dual mass flywheel going bad. Get that addressed under warranty as well....

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm with the man of metal on this one. My money is on the timing chain tensioner / timing chain. Get your MINI to the MINI dealer asap & have this checked into. It is an easy fix & since you are still under the factory warranty it is a free fix.

Enjoy your new MINI. They are screaming big fun & the JCW screams the loudest. :Thumbsup:

4. dtsol

dtsol New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info--very reassuring. It's back to the dealer tomorrow to get things sorted out.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    1 - Congrats!

2 - Welcome to M/A!

3 - local = ?

Name the dealer as well if you don't mind, we're going to want to know how this turns out.....and judge the dealer / service dept accordingly. :D

6. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
  7. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    welcome to m/a

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Welcome! Welcome! from Sherman,Texas.:Thumbsup:get that girl back to the dealer!

Jason

9. TSR53

TSR53 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Once you get it sorted, as Steve mentioned, give us a full report.

Also, I have a favor to ask... if you find the time, run it proper up the backside of HWY 9 all the way up to the gap and snap off a photo. A mile or so before you get to the gap, there is a turnout on the left, used to watch sunsets there growing up. Winter is always a good time, no fog!

I hope all goes well with your new JCW, keep us posted.

10. dtsol

dtsol New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I bought the car at Stevens Creek Mini in Santa Clara. Carol Koback was my salesperson, and so far both she and the service dept. are hitting high marks. They're going to do a complete timing kit, no problems, no bs. So far, I couldn't be happier with how well I've been treated.

TSR53, I know exactly the spot you're talking about; I drive Highway 9 to Skyline and then down Page Mill Road for my daily commute. With that for a daily drive, you can understand why I need to have a fun car (I traded in an '05 Mazdaspeed Miata for the JCW). I'll get a picture for you one of these days when I hit the spot at sunset.

11. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Yeah Buddy, this is what we love to hear(the dealer happily fixing it for you part, not the break down).:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Great news! The only thing that's eating at me is why they didn't do the repair before it was up for sale? Was it a MINI Cherished? Just me :)

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Glad it worked out for you......:D

14. dtsol

dtsol New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No noise when I test drove it. It literally started when I left the dealer. Guess it was just time for it to go.

15. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    What I meant was the dealers know this is a problem so why not take care of it before they put it up for sale. Just like they did the secondary water pump on all the in stock cars before customers car.

16. dtsol

dtsol New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #16 dtsol, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  17. TSR53

TSR53 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Thanks for the photo. Well, looks like I got it wrong on the fog comment... Typically the fog is gone in the winter and around in summer on the coast. Must have been raining then (I grew up in Saratoga and miss the old roads dearly.)

On a similar note, how are your JCW Brembo brakes? I just upgraded with the 2009 > JCW Sports Brake Kit for my 2006 R53 and will be installing soon. Can hardly wait until the roads out here unfreeze and smooth out some. Maybe in May?

18. dtsol

dtsol New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I haven't had a super-critical stopping moment yet, but so far, I'm totally satisfied with the brakes.

19. Mudnut

Mudnut New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Far North Queensland Australia
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Probably an old post, but your car looks like mine, although the steering wheel is on the wrong side:wink: I spent my youth in Santa Cruise, and early 20's diving down a bit further south. Great roads to drive, and makes the commute fun. Have been living all over the world, and here in Australia for the last 20 years. If I was to move back to the states, this would be the are I would head to. Great ride, and great place to live.

Cheers,

Ken