1st Gen JCW Softer JCW Suspension - Sometimes

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by quikmni, Mar 19, 2012.

1. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2006 MCS GP with JCW Suspension (75,000 miles). The suspension is stiff but in general great. However, when I take a long trip such as MTTS my wife tends to complain about the stiff ride (jarring over bumps). For MTTS 2012 she has asked if I can do something to soften the ride.

I would prefer the keep the ride height of the JCW springs. For daily driving I want a ride similar to the JCW spring/shock combo but for long range driving something a little softer. Thus, I was thinking that adjustable Koni Yellows might be the answer. Will the Konis adjust softer than JCW shocks (I know the Konis are a little stiffer than non JCW shocks) and smooth out the ride especially for things such as highway expansion joints? Then I can stiffen the Konis back up for normal daily driving or Auto-X. Or are the JCW springs, even with Konis on soft going to still be jarring over bumps? I do not want to go with FSDs because I do not want automatic adjusting. I do not really need the height adjustability or corner weight balancing capabiltiy of coil-overs so I am thinking just shocks to keep the cost down.

I know if I go with Koni Yellows I will need to create a way to adjust the rear without removing the strut assembly, such as cutting a hole in the rear panel for an adjustment shaft/cable to come through. I also have H-Sport front camber plates so I will need to make a tool to adjust the front shocks through the camber plate.

If Koni Yellow shocks are not a good solution what would be a good adjustable coil-over solution? I am thinking KW Variant 2 or Cross.

2. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    A different car for road trips would be the answer. A short wheelbase car with very little suspension travel and low profile tires make it difficult to be wife friendly.

I've ridden in quite a few different setups and some improve on the stock suspension in certain ways, but ultimately, it still can be a little bit jarring with the reasons listed above.

3. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply but taking a different car is not an option for a Mini Takes The States (MTTS) adventure.
    My 2003 MCS with sport suspension rode softer than my 2006 with JCW suspension so I know a litter softer is possible.
    I just need a little less stiffness over such things as expansion joints and pot holes.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Shocks prevent or dampen the springs from oscillating. It sounds to me that you would want a softer spring in this case.

5. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    A softer progressive rate spring would be the answer. He already answered his question with the stock MCS suspension.

My friend sold his stock R56 MCS (which IMO is softer than a stock R53) because his wife was unhappy with how it rode.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Ha, my wife doesn't seem to be bothered with the up and down suspension movement in my MINI. What she is always complaining about is the side to side movement. I guess that's why there is a hand grip over the passenger window....:D

7. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Don't discount the benefits of lighter wheels, too. Less unsprung weight means the suspension doesn't work as hard.

If you picked up a used MCS suspension - shocks, springs, and upper mounts, non-sport package - it wouldn't be that big of a deal to swap everything out for that once-every-couple-years road trip. Maybe a couple hours of labor at a shop.

8. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    the koni yellows won't help, they are stiffer than the OEM shocks during bump (compression). The adjustment knob only affects the rebound.
    koni FSD's would probably help, but then again springs are a lot cheaper to change than shocks.

9. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    There a million variables to ride quality, and sometimes it's hard to say what the problem is.

For instance, if your stock dampers are worn out and not damping as well or smoothly as they originally did, then softer springs may not even help you much. OR, if the really jarring bumps are actually bouncing you off of the bumpstops, then a softer spring may actually make it WORSE.

For instance, I've had cars with stock suspension and gone to a FAR, FAR stiffer spring and ended up with better ride quality because the new dampers were far more effective at smoothly damping the car AND keeping the car off of the bumpstops.

It's tough to say exactly what the culprit is when it comes to YOUR rough ride, but if it were me, I'd go with fresh, higher-quality dampers OR a lightweight 16" wheel set with more sidewall.

In the case of the better dampers, at least with that option, you're upgrading a part that's a wear item and will see the benefit of better handling at least, even if it doesn't completely solve your ride quality issue. If you just switch over to softer springs, then now you've replaced something that doesn't wear out, potentially diminished your handling, AND you still might not solve the problem.

That's my two cents :D

10. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My MCS w/Sport Suspension w/45 sidewall is a far stiffer ride than my wife's MC w/standard suspension. Her's is the road trip car and mine is the fun car, with the 55 sidewall.

Attached Files:

11. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the great input. Looks like no easy fix for me.

I know that the Koni Yellows are stiffer in compression than the normal OEM shocks but does anyone know if the Koni Yellows are stiffer in compression than the JCW shocks?

The problem with getting new springs is what to get that would be an improvement and still provide a little lowering like the JCW spring. I have never seen any spring rates for the various JCW springs so it is hard to determine what would be a little softer and provide a little drop. I do not want to use stock S spings because I still want a little lowering (can't be going on MTTS 2012 looking dumb). I know I want everything.

I was thinking TSW springs but I suspect the spring rates are very close to the JCW springs. On my previous 2003 MCS I had H&R progressive springs which worked great but I do not think I can go that low without having rubbing issues in the rear with my 18x7 et37 wheels and 215/40-18 tires. I already clearanced the rear wheel well liner to eliminate rubbing with the 18" wheels.

I want to keep the GP wheels so changing wheels is not an option and I probably do not have much to be gained beause the GP wheels even thought 18" are still lighter than most wheels, I use Wilwood brake rotors/calipers which are much lighter than the JCW brakes, and I cannot go below a 17" wheel and still clear the calipers.

Thus I would really like to stay with a shock and/or spring change. The idea of swapping springs, for long road trips, is a good idea if I can find the right spring and shock combination. Around 5/8" lowering and slightly less stiffness (compression rate) than JCW.

The easiest solution would be not to drive 4000 miles across the country with MTTS 2012 but than I would miss out on the fun. Maybe I just need to plan a partial MTTS 2012 adventure and meet the group half-way across the country.

12. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    We have guys in or Car Clubs that swear by the KONI FSD's to take some of the harsh nature out of stiff suspensions.

13. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    get rid of the runflat tires

The runflats are very hard riding tires. I replaced mine with Michelin NON-RUNFLATS and it made a world of difference in my ride quality. I went with 215/45/17 exalta pe2 summer only tires. They not only ride smoother but are way less noisy and the car handles much better. If you do change to non-runlats you need to get a slime kit to carry with you.

I wouldn't change the springs or shocks on a JCW. The JCW has very stiff sway bars and the suspension matches everything up for performance and safety. Replacing the shocks with the Koni's will be fine when your original shocks wear out but probably won't be any softer ride.

Have fun at MTTS and if she complains to much you can send her home on a nice smooth riding greyhound bus.
    :beer

14. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Agreed! Ditching the run-flats is step #1.

15. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Run-Flats have been gone for many years.
    I currently use Hankook EVO V12 tires 215/40-18. I carry slime, plug kit, and AAA card. For MTTS I will carry a compact spare tire.

I also have front adj camber plates and 19mm rear sway bar that do not help the compression sharpness issue.

16. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Bilstein PSS9

17. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    only other option is:

Trade it in on a new "justa Countryman", You will hate it, Your wife will love it, And you will still have a Mini.

:biggrin5:

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Tell your wife it's called a GP for a reason. If you want a Caddie like ride for MTTS rent a MIMI from your dealership or take the GP and leave the wife at home.:aureola:

19. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Not to hijack the thread "BUT"

I once took a girlfriend on a long Harley Davidson motorcycle trip. She was fine for the first 300 miles, Then it started. At 500 miles I took her to the Greyhound bus station in Winchester Virginia and dumped her off. I really enjoyed the rest of my vacation and found a new girlfriend when I got back home.

:beer

20. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    women: you can't live with them and you can't dump them off at the side of the road... no wait, apparently you can. Thanks Ronnie!