1st Gen JCW S to JCW

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Deech21, Jun 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Deech21

Deech21 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Retail Sales
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    When I was in having my O2 sensor replaced today, I asked my service advisor to look at something under the hood. It was a wire hidden behind the battery hookup under the bonnet, connected to a module that said John Cooper works on it.
    When i purchased the car, I was very excited because i knew it had a JCW intake and hoped maybe there were more goodies. So today the service advisor said it probably had the JCW kit on it looking at the module then parts were taken off before the sale.

Here's my question. What would need to be done in order to bring it back to JCW status and what would the relative cost be?

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I thought the tune was just a computer flash?... If it is the box, then you'd just need an intake and exhaust I believe. Not much to it.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This is interesting...

In 2005 you could get a dealer installed JCW kit or order it direct from the factory. It included a revised supercharger with what most think is an 11% pulley. The coated lobes were now standard in 2005 so that is no different. Also included is a slightly revised head, unique to the JCW. Frankly, for the cost of one of these from MINI you can a heck of lot better in the aftermarket. Other parts are the cat back exhaust and air box, colder plugs, 380 injectors and the software to tie it all together.

First off you would want to determine what it any of the JCW bits you do have. Also want to see somehow of you have a JCW tune too. Might want to give MINI US a ring, 866-ASK-MINI and ask them what the car had on delivery for options.

Converting it now from S to JCW specs I fear would be big bucks. MINI OEM parts are not inexpensive and the JCW bits are a bit more dear when it comes to pricing. You have to ask yourself if the cost is worth the return. You can easily achieve the same results with the afermarket for much less.

The appeal in 2005 is that it was all covered under warranty if something went amiss. That was worth the extra cost to many people. Now these parts will not be covered, your warranty is long out of play here. If you really want a JCW I'd be looking for a one of that vintage built at the factory instead of trying to convert an S. To me the cost is just not worth it.

4. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I think the question was just to get it to "JCW Kit" standards... not full factory?

5. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ...although, best case, it was a JCW car (head, software, and intake) that the owner simply took the exhaust off of to make a few more buckaroos on the sale. Worth checking!

Nathan, I checked around on the JCW pulley for Jason (our autocrossing buddy). Apparently, STX rules DO allow the JCW pulley, since the JCW came factory stock. The research I did was fairly conclusive at ~12%. Jason reported that he lost all of a pound of boost (gauge) at the top end, with no noticeable driveability changes (according to his calibrated butt dyno). I can attest to that, since he crushed me in the last autocross we were in!

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    You can make a bastard JCW for not much money.:wink: That is what I did on my MINI.

The JCW will also have 380cc injectors.
    JCW airbox, which you have, although it sounds like the wiring for the flapper is not hooked up.
    12% pulley
    JCW head that has minimal head work
    JCW exhaust
    JCW flash to the ECU
    Various stick on JCW badges

That is not a lot of stuff & you could go aftermarket & get more for less.

7. bahawton

bahawton Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I have an unmarred JCW pulley that I removed @ 15K miles. I would sell it for $50 + shipping. E-mail [email protected] or PM me if interested.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The OEM JCW pulley is a press on pulley, not like the aftermarket ones. It is very difficult (if not down right impossible) to install it on a SC still on a car.

9. Deech21

Deech21 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Retail Sales
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it. Im going to give MINI a call and did out what options were added so I can get an idea of what I'll be working with.

10. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Very true, I guess if someone was super determined it could possibly be done on the car, but for something this critical you really want to have the SC off the car. If you build a "installation tool", throw the SC snout in the freezer for a few hours, and "bake" the pulley in the oven at 250F for an hour it's not too bad of a job. For the freezer and oven steps, it does help to be a single guy :biggrin5:

Jason

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    JCW is not really worth it unless you keep it all stock JCW.

For me I turned my 05 JCW into a much more powerful and reliable RMW Mini.

FUN:D

12. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    LMAO :lol:, only you, Jason, only you!

13. Deech21

Deech21 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Retail Sales
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    what is this

here's that module I mentioned. It appears to have a wiring harness attached to it but I have no idea what it is for.

Attached Files: