2nd Gen JCW How do I remove this fastener?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by 05r50, Sep 25, 2012.

1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    image-1443592148.jpg

So I am needing to remove my bumper cover and the manual says to remove these fasteners that attach the wheel liner to the cover. A couple of turns with a screwdriver and the plastic was starting to strip. Thought I better ask the experts.

What are they called?

How do I remove?

Is it possible to not break them and reuse? Or do I need to order more?

Thanks.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Order more

Get an assortment of various fasteners.

I think Aaron has a fastener kit.

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Use a Phillips head screwdriver to turn the screw, and a long thin straight screwdriver to hold the outer part. Sometimes it spins for a bit before the "threads" catch and start to unscrew, and sometimes it helps to lever the screw part out with the straight screwdriver as you're turning it.

To reinstall, just wedge the outer part into the hole and push the screw right in. The "threads" are rounded, so it'll just zip right in.

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Jeff, those have been out several times. BT is correct with his solution. I would get some extras from Aaron because the last I looked I was out of spares.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Use a pair of dykes (wire cutters or diagonal cutting pliers or diagonal cutters) to cut them out and just replace them with push in plugs from Home Depot or Lowes Pep Boys or Ace Hardware.

Much cheaper and eaiser to find.

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    a philips will turn them.....but with grit, age...they seem to get stuck
    I find if you pull them and the entire liner out with a firm, sharp yank (one place at aa time)...they just pop out...
    new ones are a good move...i tried several different packs in the bigbox auto store,,,none of them fit...so getting them from a MINI supplier would be smart!!
    they are much easier to install with a Philips screwdriver.....

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I've replaced a few of mine in 120k miles... but have never had the major headaches with these things that some folks seem to. bthayer's method is what I do... use a little flatblade screwdriver in one of the perimeter slots to keep the whole thing from turning, while using the right size phillips to unscrew the inner part. If it just spins, use the small flatblade as a lever - tilt it and push it gently under the head of the screw part while turning it with the other screwdriver to help it come out. If the phillips slot is stripped, use another small flatblade and jam it in there tight.

I've never had to cut one to get it out using these techniques. Once or twice I've had to pry one out and replace it with the OEM part. I bought a half dozen a long time ago as spares.

8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Yep, +1 on having some spares on hand. I've noticed that the plastic used to fabricate these fasteners seems to get more brittle with age. If you're taking them off your '05 this certainly applies. You're bound to break a few, even using the proper technique. Go with the flow. :Thumbsup:

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Oh man how I hate theses plastic do-hickies they are assembling modern cars with! With age they get brittle, just like my bones. I wonder if in 20 yeas time parts will begin falling off due to fatigued fasteners. :wink: