1st Gen JCW MCS Head vs. JCW Head

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by ChItalian1027, Oct 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Is there a major difference between the MCS Head verses the JCW Head? Like different cams, valves, valve springs? Just wondering. Also is the JCW a single cam or dual cam? Would a head from the R56 fit the R53 MCS?

Thanks

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    All Minis have a Single cam and No an R56 head will not fit on an R53.

They are two completely different motors. Supercharged / turbo

3. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    The only difference between a "S" head and a "JCW" head is that the JCW head has been polished and ported..mildly, I am told and mostly on the exhaust side. The heads are exactly the same otherwise.

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I initially started with an OEM head (R53), then went the JCW kit route, really not worth the money, new, it's overpriced for what it is. But that was way back when I was worried about warranty.

Finally put the RMW head on--and it transformed the car (along with a new cam and header).

IMHO, it makes no sense to spend the coin on the JCW head, especially since you're out of warranty now, it's not worth the money (although you might be able to get one used at a decent price). The RMW head on the other hand is money well spent, especially if you're looking for a brand new head, then it's a no brainer.

5. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    All r56 are twin cam

6. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    The JCW and the OEM r53 are the same head. The JCW has had the exhaust Port opened up, the Intake is stock. Also the JCW has had pocket porting and bowl work done to increase the flow. The Valve train and the valves are the same in both.

Like answered above.. the r53 and the r56 are two TOTALLY different engines and nothing interchanges.

Is it worth it to use the JCW head ?? Looking at cost vs the Ported Head, YES!! If you can acquire a JCW for say $500.00, you will see gains over the OEM stock head. The least expensive ported head for the r53 is my TPR1 Head, and that is at $1295.00, and the JCW should provide at least 1/2 the gains that the TPR1 does.

SOOoo.... budget and application both play into the equation.. lol. but the JCW is a good bolt on power maker for the right price... cool??

Just saying...........................

Thumper

jcwleftoemright.jpg

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #7 cct1, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    A good tune will make you more power, for less money, than a JCW head....

A 15% pulley will make you more power, for less money than a JCW head....

Adding the JCW head isn't going to be a huge a difference maker, compared to the other two. And if we're doing bang for the buck, it makes even less sense.

Although I agree with you that the JCW head would be a bigger bang for the buck than the TPR1

Now if you've already done the pulley, and you're going to put a used JCW head on and tune it, that may be reasonable, but if your budget allows, you'd be better off with an RMW head, we know what those are capable of on the track and dyno.

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    It all comes down to what you're looking for, and what you want to spend.

If someone is looking for moderate gains and relatively moderate cost, and can get a good deal on a JCW or TPR-1 or similar ported head, it WILL make a positive impact when combined with other mods like pulley, JCW injectors, intake, exhaust, header, cam, etc. when tuned properly for all the mods.

Not everyone wants or needs a big valve head. Not everyone can take advantage of high RPMs where the BVH really shines (e.g. automatic transmission owners). If you've done EVERYTHING else on the mod list above and still want to bump up performance a bit, a ported head can do it. And it's cost effective to put on a ported head when swapping the cam...

All that said... the JCW head or tuning kit at OEM prices is NOT a good deal.

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The problem is a JCW head, as a stand alone, adds very little HP. First hand experience from the dyno....

So you're paying quite a bit money to swap the head, if you're paying for the labor, for little gains, especially compared to say a pulley or tune (or both), not to mention CAI (which is one of the JCW parts that is good). The head can be bought used for relatively cheap, but more than a pulley or tune.

Now, if you're going to add the other things, pulley, tune, cam, etc, the head still isn't adding much to that combo, MAYBE 10HPish; the JCW head just isn't that aggressive. And if you're adding all those things, it makes more sense to me to get a BVH, or if money is an issue, just stay stock rather than swap the head. Maybe, if you're switching a cam, and you can get the head cheap used it makes sense, but otherwise, why bother?

Just my .02.

10. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Way back, when this was being debated, I documented with the first pictures of a JCW head to all those on the sewing site or maybe it was www.minicooperonline.com at the time before all the arguing and BS started. The pictures were taken of a JCW head's port work at my dealers open house. Not much difference, only on the exhaust port side, none in the combustion chamber. This was before anyone had spare heads to port.
    Anyone remember that?

11. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Opinion...
    Any mods will increase with the addition of a free flowing cylinder head.

Any free flowing head, should be to the application of the engine and driver. As Blimey said. Big valves, big ports will hinder the street drives, the stop light to stop light, or an Automatic. YET it WILL allow MORE mid to top power. ( basic engine phyics) Just need to keep 'real life' in your equation and application.

Yes the cost to install a cylinder head.. any cylinder head, is going to be the same. However buying a head that will be way out of the performance gains and actual driving, isnt good either. Remember the Cylinder Head ALLOWS more power.. it isnt a given.
    If there is a 250 WHP mini out there and they are bragging it is all in the head..... it isnt!! If there was a choice to have maybe a 230 WHP car for $1800.00 Less money, THAT is the choice you have to decide.

Keeping your goals realistic is the key!! Yes??
    example.. You can buy a ported Head/ ALL the gaskets/ ARP Bolts/ Camshaft/ Adjusted Cam gear / ported Intake manifold all for LESS than a BVH!! and with all those mods... you have one healthy MINI.

Back to the original question.... YES, the JCW is a good mod , depending on cost! Yes??

Just me..................................

Thumper

12. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Rocking.. the changes are exhaust port.. intake and exhaust THROATS ( just under the valve) all the rest is the same.

INTAKE THROAT... JCW
    smoothedmachinedIntakethroatJCW1.jpg
    INTAKE THROAT EOM...
    ruffOEMintthroat.jpg jcwleftoemright (1).jpg
    TPR1..
    TPR1PortedExhaust.jpg

Hope these pixs help..

Just my opinion.........

Thumper

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    BVH doesn't necessarily hinder day to day driving--depends on the cam and tune. I thought we'd done this before...

I would NEVER recommend a BVH as a standalone, it's part of the puzzle, not the complete puzzle, just like I would never recommend a JCW head by itself when there are other modification alternatives that are much cheaper that will create more power.

And I agree that a head alone isn't a guarantee of power, which was my point to begin with. Makes no sense to toss on a JCW head and call it a day.

So do you really think a car with proper mods can go from 230 HP to 250 by adding a JCW head? I don't, any more than I think you can get 250HP from a head alone.

I agree to keep your goals realisitic--but I think you could do a pulley, CAI, and maybe even exhaust, and have a "happier" mini than putting on a "mild" head, 'milder" cam, and adjustable cam gear.

I'd love to see some before and after dyno's on the same car, same day, with the combo you're recommending....

The nice thing about the U.S. is you have choices. You can do it cheap, or you can do it right.

14. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Er, I never said that.

All I said was that without more than 6700 RPMs, you get limited benefit from a BVH.

With the right combination of parts and tune, I know lots of folks who are plenty happy with the street and low-end performance of their BVH.

I'm just saying that, with a 6700RPM rev limit and a slushbox, you're not going to make REALLY big numbers, no matter what head you put on the car.