2nd Gen JCW Need Help. JCW wont start

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by 05r50, Apr 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    OK experts I need some help. I cannot get my 09 JCW to start.

Here is what I know:

• Car has been on jack stands for about 3 weeks while wheels were being powder coated.
    • Yesterday I changed original brake lines to SS and flushed the brake fluid.
    • Once the lines were bled, I tried to start car but it just cranks.
    • Thought the battery may be week so took it to 2 auto stores and it tested ok
    • Gas tank is full
    • Pulled a spark plug and it looks wet as if it is getting fuel
    • Here is a video of what it sounds like
    JCW | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    For one, I wouldn't try cranking it that long, if it's a bigger problem it may just make it worse.

I would pull all of the plugs (last thing you need is for the car to magically start when doing this), keep one plug on the wire and check to see if you are getting a spark when touching the plug to a grounded metal source.

Check compression if you can too.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Just a guess, but it sounds like no spark. Wet plugs can be an indication of that. Are the coil packs plugged in? If you keep cranking you will add fuel that will wash down the cylinders & add that gas to the oil. Not a good thing. When all is said & done you may want to change the oil.

4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Since Jeff's car was running when parked I'm thinking it is not a problem with compression. Seems like no spark to all cylinders.

5. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    That is one of the funny things. The cranking is a cycle from press and release of the start button. As long as the clutch is depressed it cranks. It finally times out. Then I initiate again with a press and release.

Since the car has always started right up, I never have experienced this cycle or if it is normal or not.

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Jeff, have you made any progress with getting it started? I have a vested interest in this since it once sat in my stable. I'm at a loss for an answer or recommended fix. I hope you get some help from the mechanically savy.

7. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Mark,

Nothing yet. I am really stumped. I would like to at least do some more trouble shooting before I throw in the towel and call for a flatbed. Since I am out of warranty at 99K I need to think where to send it. If it is HPFP then I can get that free from the dealer with the extended warranty they have on that part.

My OBD II scanner is not seeing any codes.

Does anyone know if the stock Scangauge II will report fuel pressure? Or actually the question should be does the ECU report fuel pressure so the SGII will see it?

I did catch a youtube video with a start/stall condition that was the HPFP as diagnosed with an autologic. HPFP was reporting less than 5 bar.
    (I don't have start/stall but rather crank/no start).

8. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Jeff you did say the spark plugs were wet, so I would think that would mean you are getting fuel. Of course I know the HPFP is problematic and don't know when they go if they pump a little fuel or none at all. Have you tried calling Sam at MAG? He can at least ask one of the techs there and see if they have any suggestions. Also have you checked for spark?

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Calling Sam or Anson over at Best Motor Werks is a very good idea at this stage. I'm thinking no sparks.... Three things to make a car run, air, fuel & spark. Two are there, one is missing.

10. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I agree....it sounds like something electrical got unplugged during your brake line replacement. I noticed in your video that a yellow check mark appeared on the tach screen....what does that warning represent?

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Well.... Maybe..... Ummmmm

CHKMINI....... Bruhahahahaha

12. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Spoke to Best Motor Werks. Played them the video. Working theory now is that the battery was weakened from sitting and then I flooded the car. I charged the battery for 24 hours and then took it to auto store and it tested good. So this is plausible on the battery. (Dealer has advised I would need new battery before next winter so not surprising)

Now I need to treat the car as flooded and go from there. Best advised to pull the plugs and crank the car, let it sit to get the fuel to evaporate.

I will try this tonight.

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Be careful Jeff. That DI engine has a hella high fuel pressure. If gas flys out of the cylinder through the plug holes & meets mister sparky, you'll burn your car & garage down.

I would pull the plugs & let the car sit for a good while. Put the plugs in the oven & warm them to get them dray. Let them cool before re-installing.

Modern cars have a battery drain just sitting, yours sat for 3 weeks = dead or low battery.

14. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I second Crash's recommendation about just letting the cylinders air dry.

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    That's most likely what has happened Jeff....
    When mine sits through the salty months in the garage.... I have a battery tender attached to keep it in tip top shape...

16. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    So after speaking with Best Motor Werks I pulled the plugs and sure enough I have fuel just hanging out down there. Made a quick little video with my handy endoscope camera. The light is reflecting on the fuel. So it seems I flooded the car while letting it crank.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAghMx0oEIk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAghMx0oEIk[/ame]

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Change the oil when you get this running. An amount of that gas has surely gotten by the rings diluting your oil. That's a lot of a gas there.

18. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
  19. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    Just a question, if there were a lot of fuel in the cylinders, would you run the risk of any residue being left behind in the cylinders when the fuel dries?

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Any residue should burn away fairly quickly once the engine fires up. A shade tree way of removing some of that gas would be sticking some cotton rope down the plug holes. It will help wick the gas out of there.