2nd Gen JCW Has anyone else experienced a valve cover gasket leak after installing a boost tap?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by 05r50, Apr 17, 2013.

1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    OK, let me start off by saying that I am in no way making any accusations here regarding anyones product. I am just curious to see if anyone has had the same results that I have.

Scenario:
    Installed a Oil Catch Can (OCC) and a boost tap plug on my 09 JCW a couple of months back. Didn't notice any issues at that time. Had the car in to the dealership for service this week in prep for MOTD. Had several items repaired not affiliated to the valve cover. Dealer noticed the leak. I went ahead and had the gasket replaced retaining the original valve cover.

Once the service was completed and they tested out the car they noticed the leak was still there even though the gasket had been replaced. The oil seems to accumulate in the lower right corner of the cover right at the bolt closest to the oil line for the turbo. (Oil not coming from turbo, had that line replaced this week as well).

Tech finally removed the boost tap from the PCV hose on the passenger rear connection of the valve cover and returned it to factory connection. Cleaned off the oil residue from the cover and tested the car again. No more leak :confused:

So my question is has anyone else found this happening to them? How did you resolve it? Did you remove the boost tap for good or what?

Could this be an indication of a problem with the valve cover itself? The fact that the pcv is blocked does increase the pressure but would that cause a good cover to leak or a faulty cover to leak?

Appreciate any feedback on this.

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Has anyone else experienced a valve cover gasket leak after installing a boos...

This is an interesting scenario. The valve cover has a pressure release valve built into it located center rear which has a plastic plug in it. You would think that pressure high enough to force oil through the gasket would first release through the valve. I'm watching this thread closely since I too just installed an OCC with the boost tap.

3. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    I have an occ on my R58 JCW and was advised by WMW not to use the

boost tap.

4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    So Mark,

I did find this post from k-huevo pointing out that the valve cover oil/air separator may stop working and that could cause the gasket to leak. http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/jcw/10871-positive-crank-case-ventilation.html#post101516

Here is an image of what he posted. He was referring to the orange disk just like we were discussing earlier today.

[​IMG]

I also called the boost tap maker and spoke to them. They did say that with the tap in place it would increase the pressure but didn't say by how much. Putting these 2 things together it does sound reasonable that if the oil/air separator is clogged then that relief port on the back would be of no beneift as it would not be working.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I have the rear facing PCV port closed with the Audi caps (Plastic pipe completely removed and capped at the intake manifold and valve cover), with no current leaks. The cold side turbo PCV connection is still functional through my OCC. I did get the rear pressure vent to pop and I feel that was due to short runs to work this winter without getting the engine hot enough to completely purge all of the water condensation.... This condensation makes large quantities of "Mayonnaise" that is a blend of PCV oil and water moisture. The pressure relief valve blew a small quantity of oil towards the air filter housing. Now that the engine temperature reaches 220F, the "Mayonnaise" is gone and the relief valve stays closed.
    Jeff... Somehow you need to make sure the PCV oil trap maze in the valve cover isn't plugged.....