2nd Gen JCW Seatbelts w/ Recaros catch in door

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by CharlieVictor, Aug 22, 2013.

1. CharlieVictor

CharlieVictor New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 29, 2011
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm having an issue with the shoulder harness getting trapped between the door and the side of the Recaro seat. When I release the seat belt and open the door to get out of the car, the belt retracts off my shoulder. But where it ends up places the male half of the buckle in a position that makes it get pinned between the door panel and the side of the seat when I close the door. This becomes apparent the next time I open the door and there's an indentation in the side of the seat where the buckle was jammed against it. There's also a corresponding mark on the door panel. I've shown this to the SA at my dealer, who had nothing to offer. However, if this is allowed to continue, it's only a matter of time before the buckle chews a hole in the side of the seat . . . Probably about the same time that the car is out of warranty. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do about it? So far, the only thing that's worked for me is to catch the shoulder strap on the inside of the seat bolster before I close the door. It keeps the buckle from getting caught, but also requires me to remember to do it every time. And I'm getting bad about remembering things . . .

2. Mr Salt

Mr Salt New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 30, 2013
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I had this problem with Mr Salt and the reqular seat belts. I went to Mini and purchased a pair of plastic seat belt "buttons". I put one of them them on each the seat belt straps so that the male piece can not slide all the way down. The seat belt retracts and the "button" does not restrict putting the belt on. I think they were two dollars each. Chance are you already have them on the seat belts and they are down at the bottom----they can not be removed so will need to buy new ones.

3. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    That would be items 2 and 3 'buttons' - part numbers 72111950829 and 72111917406. Possibly also item 4 described as 'clamping' - part number 72111862636. All under $1 list each.

[​IMG]

4. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    This also happens in my JCW hardtop with the regular sport seats. The first thing I did was try to adjust the sliding clips to keep the seatbelt tongue from slipping, but the clips got stuck between the seat and the door. (I removed them.) Then I headed to the dealer to buy the MINI/BMW seat belt holder that attaches to the headrest, which turned out to be worthless and was returned the next day.

While messing around with the seat belt, I discovered there's a built-in "holder" on the B pillar. When you retract the seatbelt, the tongue fits nicely in the slot in the trim for the belt. The tension from the retractor holds the tongue in place (almost as if it were held by a magnet), and it's very handy to grab the belt when I need it. I leave the passenger-side belt stowed this way all the time, it doesn't rattle and it's never fallen out – even at high speeds with the sunroof and windows open.

[​IMG]

I know this works on my JCW hardtop, but I don't know what other models will work. YMMV.

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    All the more reason to look twice and shut once!

6. Mr Salt

Mr Salt New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 30, 2013
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I clipped the parts 2 and 3 together with a pair of pliers. You don't have to think about it, just let go of the seat belt the button holds the buckle in place and the belt retracts. It will stop at the top and if properly installed there will be no tension on the belt other than there normally would be without the stop.

7. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Did the buttons punch a hole in your belts or just stretch the fabric?

8. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the above tip, works great in my GP