2nd Gen JCW At a loss now

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Sivi709, May 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sivi709

Sivi709 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Olympia Washington
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    2009 JCW
    NM Intake
    NM charge pipe
    NM discharge pipe
    NM torque arm insert
    NM stage 2 tune
    Forge intercooler

Alta compressor recirc valve
    Alta aluminum intake tube (works perfectly with the NM intake)

Have a few other mods but I think those are the only relevant ones for this post. Had all but the Alta stuff when I got the tune and I was getting a fluttering on long full boost pulls from the higher gears and of course loss of power. Thought Alta's CRV would fix it but nope. Still does that same thing probably in all gears but the first few are too fast to notice. On the freeway in 6th when put to the floor, the boost builds and then flutters and loss of power. No clue what kind of leak would cause a fluttering sound. Calling NM tomorrow since it happened since their tune but I doubt the tune is the problem. How do you even go about finding high pressure boost leaks? Thanks in advance for any and all help

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I have no idea, but I'll bump the post and we can hope someone else will know :)

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Sorry I can't help, but here's another bump.

4. Sivi709

Sivi709 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Olympia Washington
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the bumps!

I gave my friend a ride and he says my car is super fast and that I'm crazy. NM says the fluttering sound is the waste gate relieving pressure to keep the torque curve they set. Scheduled a dyno run Friday the 23rd to see whats up. And of course I'll keep the thread updated and a pic of the graph if I can manage it.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well if it did not happen before the tune and it started after I would say it's the tune. That is easy to check. Take the tune off and drive the car. Is it ok? If yes, put the tune back on and test again. Is the problem back? If yes, it's the tune. It's that simple.

6. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    how many miles on the car/turbo?

the waste gate valve and arm can be problematic with higher mileage turbos, especially when the boost gets turned up. You can adjust the rod on the wastegate for a tighter seal, but look for vertical play in the arm first. The housing wears out where this arm passes thru, making the flap off center and hard to get a good seal. works ok then you increase the boost and it shows up as a "high pressure boost loss"

7. Sivi709

Sivi709 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Olympia Washington
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I see. I'll have to check out the waste gate next time I'm doing stuff to the car. I just got back from the dyno and it shows no problems and the "dyno guy" said it's normal too. In a few weeks I'll be putting the Akrapovic DP on and getting another dyno done to see what that thing really does. Soooo here is the graph...

MINI2.jpg

8. Sivi709

Sivi709 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Olympia Washington
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Oh! and I forgot to add the WMW Turbo exhaust manifold to my list of engine mods.

9. Sivi709

Sivi709 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Olympia Washington
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Just to update, got the downpipe installed and wow does it sound awesome!!! Now the clutch is slipping and at 43k miles I've read it's not entirely uncommon. Now that I have a CEL from the downpipe I highly doubt warranty will cover clutch. Oh well, it's up in August anyways and I want an OS Gilken. Further reading however has got me to thinking about all the other failures soon to come in my future, might be cheaper just to trade it in and have car payments again.....

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You can do what many others have done and are completely happy......

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

It's really worth the wait......

Trade it for a low milage 05 or 06 R53. :Thumbsup:

11. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    I just keep fixing my vehicles. If you like it, it is way cheaper than buying a new one.

My '82 GMC has over 600,000 miles on it, it is on its third engine and second transmission, second paint job, and second interior, it looks and drives great. I have about $12000 in repairs in it. I do all my own work on my cars, so I save money there.

Dave

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You could get this and enjoy the SC'ed R53.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/minis-sale/21930-2006-mini-cooper-s-65k-mi-original-owner.html#axzz33slH29B7

13. Sivi709

Sivi709 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Olympia Washington
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Haha!!! I have thought about that. This is my first turboed car and I've had 1 supercharged car too. I prefer the supercharger for sure but it was a Shelby GT500 sooo....

If I were to go the R53 route I'm sure I would be happy. I know If I stick with what I have and it doesn't bleed my wallet dry I'll be happy too. Yep more sleeping and thinking is needed.

14. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    The problem is nowadays...yes while some are low mileage...its hard to find a unmolested R53 that is low miles...honestly i like to start with a blank canvas...sure it may come modded but for all i know there could be a nasty problem lying in wait because someone decided to cheap out or half ass a mod...

it wouldnt be a bad idea to take it to a reputable shop that deals in euro's or minis and have them give it a once over...just because a part could fail doesnt mean you should base your ownership on that part...if you know the clutch is slipping...start saving...get the OS Giken GT clutch and while your in there change out some things like the release arm bushings and so on...preventative maint is always keen but dont go nuts with it...not a bad thing to have the parts on hand...also get the bentley manual and proper tools...you can save alot with simple fixes and some mods you can do yourself...

15. Sivi709

Sivi709 New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Olympia Washington
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So far it's running just fine as long as I don't race the world up an on ramp. Still plenty fast without getting it to the point of slipping clutch, just changed driving habits a little. Can still go all out in first and second with no noticeable problems but even that has been toned down while I save for a clutch, and I was thinking OS Gilken too but not the GT. I guess if I'm not auto crossing the GT is the better one?

On a different note, a buddy of mine has an 07 M5 and 0-60ish I beat him lol. Granted I'm in 3rd gear when he's still in 1st and we all know that he was about to start chasing me down if we had more room to get going. Just some safeish fun at an undisclosed location :)